Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Birthday Interview

The interview went well, I think, and I want the job. Small residential developer, some commercial projects, growing fast, very casual (jeans and sandals every day, oh yeah baby!), a market I know well, friendly, passionate about their work, and lots of women in management. I liked everybody, and especially the women in management bit. At my former employer which shall remain nameless, it was very much the WASP Boys' Club above a certain level, and of course a paralegal had a snowball's chance of getting even to that certain level where female management was kept.

I definitely could do this job, and because it is a fast-growing company I think I could somewhat write my own ticket after getting in the door and entrenched in the organization. I love the idea of working for an organization without a formal "legal department" and preconceived notions of how things MUST BE or ELSE. And of course there is the curse of "once a paralegal, always a paralegal" - I'm tired of wearing the Scarlet P. If you're good, you won't move out of the role. I have no problem with being in the role to begin with, it's fun and I'm good at it, but I want to be in it in an organization that is growing and still figuring out what it really needs. And I like the idea that their concept of the "paralegal role" - which is not really a traditional real estate paralegal job description - is considered part of the management team, doing deals and creating projects.

And I realized, listening to the broker talk talk talk about the company and how much she loves it, that I MISS that business - it's fun work. I miss the insanity, the silly problems, and the fun of birthing new communities. So I have my fingers crossed that I will get an offer, and an offer I can live with. The HR guy (same guy I had the good phone interview with) said he'd be calling me tomorrow. So we'll see if they come back with an offer, and if they do, if it's one I can live with, then I want the job.

Yet, it will be hard to leave what I'm doing, because, bitching about the company aside (and all my bitches are valid and believe me, I am holding back mightily) I like the cases, I like the people I deal with most, and I love the Boss. He knows I'm looking, he understands why, he's sick about it, but he would never stand in my way. In a perfect world, I'd rather find a place where we can do what we are doing without being strangled on a daily basis by the truly insane level of corporate idiocy (and this is someone who has worked in and for national law firms and international corporations for almost all of her working life talking here - this is the most fucked up EVER) but this is not a perfect world, that is not on the horizon and I'm not getting any younger.

So, we'll see....

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:50 PM

    Fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, at this point they just have to show me the money or tell me I'm out - it was a Barney interview - I liked them, they were very positive and not at all cryptic - but we didn't talk about the nasty realities, that's the HR guy's job. I will take it if they offer, and offer the right buckage and benefits, but I'm not going to cry my eyes out if it doesn't work out. Call me old and jaded (because I am) but if it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't and I keep shopping. I HAVE a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Just know your price and don't go below it. But it's good to hear you got some positive feeling from the interview.

    ratsa ruck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Just know your price and don't go below it. But it's good to hear you got some positive feeling from the interview.

    ratsa ruck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, hell I'm not about to go below my price, I have other irons in the fire still - this is just one of them. But this would be fun and if the terms are right I'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope this does work out for you. It sounds like a much better fit than your current job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:50 PM

    Good luck! Oh, and Happy Birthday :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:56 PM

    Glad to hear it went well. I was thinking about you off and on all day. If the terms are right and you decide to take it remember there is some comfort in knowing that your current boss might be able to consider some offers he might not have if you were still trying to make a jump together. It doesn't make leaving a good working relationship with a friend/coworker easier, but at least there is an upside.(Even if you have to tilt your head sideways and squint to see it.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:29 PM

    Pulling for you, chica...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:36 AM

    It's so much better to interview when you have a job.

    And yes -- happy bday! June girls rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:54 AM

    I hope everything works out - it would be such a great change in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Glad to hear the interview went so well - - it certainly sounds promising.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Happy Birthday! Fingers crossed, hoping they make you a great offer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to have missed your birthday Catherine, hope it was wonderful and the beginning of an extra special year! Sending great job offer,major bucks, killer benes vibes for ya! :)

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated B'day, missy miss! Hope your celebration lasts for a whole year.
    And good luck w/the job stuff. They would be very lucky to have you there.
    XOXO
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:21 AM

    the Barney interview comment made me SNORT in a most unladylike, jaded sort of way...
    They BEST be offerin' you the bucks, or it will be THEIR loss.
    Extra prayers for all the best!
    xoxoxo
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  17. happy belated birthday, and good luck with the interview.

    ReplyDelete