Friday, July 01, 2005

Silence....

No call. No email. Nothing from my Barney Love Fest Interview on Tuesday in which they certainly seemed hot for me. Yeah, it's only Friday, and these are the people who had my resume for about a week before calling me the first time, they are a small organization and very busy. So perhaps there is nothing to read into the silence. Or perhaps there is. I hope I hear something today, so I don't have to spend the holiday weekend wondering. At this point I'd settle for the "We're sorry, but we selected another candidate" dumping, it'd be better than wondering. But I really do want that job. SIGH....

I'm a good fit for the job. I know that stuff. I can do it. I like the organization. I want the job, dammit. VERY HEAVY SIGH....
And scariest of all, Boss is interviewing in South Florida for a job that has been courting HIM hard. I don't think it's as good a fit for him as this would be for me, and there's the whole moving issue to consider, but I'm sure the money would be good and if they offered it he'd have to really wrestle with the ramifications of taking it. But if he takes it and I don't get something good up here, I am screwed. I will have to take a pay cut to get out of where I am, it's as simple as that. My life would be hell if he left and I stayed without him.

So yeah, I'm a little stressed. Add to that the status of my roof - still undone - and the status of my insurance adjuster - not returning phonecalls - and I'm a little more stressed. I finally got a check out of my insurance company and it was, shall we say, unrealistically low. Though they agree that I need a new roof, their concept of what said roof should cost was laughable. My house is small, but not a chicken coop, thank you. My roofing contractor negotiated the price up a bit, but have I seen that additional money? No. Is my adjuster returning my calls? That would be a no also. Have I been able to contract for the new roof yet? See above.

Oh, and we had over 17 inches of rain in Orlando in the month of June. This may be a good sign, because I do believe in the theory that the more rain we get in June, the less likely we are to get hit with a hurricane in the late part of the season. This is not an old wives' tale, but something meteorologists actually theorize. It involves the location of the Bermuda High and how it steers storms. So it looks like we might not have another wild ride like last year, yet, call me crazy, but I'd still like to have a solid new roof on my house, just in case. And yes, my roof was damaged last September and this is July 1 and I still don't have a new one. It's not leaking (yet) so I was waiting out the price gouging that was rampant last fall. Waiting was the right thing to do, because obviously my insurance company, they who have received my premiums for the past 9 years, is out to screw me worse than the contractors.

So my stress and hormones teamed up in the past week and a half, beat the shit out of my resolve and self-control, and threw my diet and exercise habits under a bus. I am not normally a stress eater, but when confronted by this much stress above and beyond the normal idiocy that is part of my job and a box of doughnuts in the office kitchen.... And then last night I had an eye exam (dropped another $179 there, and that is WITH my insurance) and came home late, starving, and we had a coupon to try a different Chinese restaurant's takeout. It was really, really good, and today I got on the scale (I know, why not just gouge my eyeballs instead?) and the Chinese food bloat had arrived in the night, as it always does. And the kids are taking me out for my birthday this weekend.

So I think Sunday it will be time for Me 'n the Girlchild to start boot camp. A really serious Deflation Diet. She is using our cousin's timeshare at Hilton Head for her birthday week in July and wants to be bikini-ready, and I of course may be going on still more frustrating job interviews and need to at least fit into my interview clothes, which I am eating myself out of at this rate, and we both could use a good crash diet and exercise plan for a couple of weeks. Besides, my growling stomach and aching muscles may at least distract me from EVERYOTHERFUCKINGTHINGINMYLIFE that is fucked up right now.

Shower. Office. Maybe I'll hear something today. Please, God.

7 comments:

  1. Well durn. I love it when you are my twin and things are going great but I hate it if your twinnedness (since I am the elder) twines with my shitty life issues. Let us count on Saturn moving out of Capricorn ( or whatever) so that ThingsGetBetter.

    Chanting "call her you idiots" the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this helps or not. I once had an interview in which I "just knew" it was in the bag, and it was a whopping 3 weeks before they ever called me back to say I had the job. Companies just don't seem to be in any hurry these days. I sympathize with the agony of waiting and being stuck in a place you don't want to be. Here's hoping you WILL hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they call you back soon. And while I hope the current weather situation means you don't get hit with the hurricanes, it means that I may see them instead. But good luck with the diet and get thy rear to the gym. I need to. I am going out tonight to buy a new pair of jeans in the next smaller size so that I have to go to the gym. It works, I did it for the heans I am wearing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for your insurance company, if the adjuster is not returning calls, I'd go over his/her head. A telephone call to head of department or president/vice president of the company can work wonders, as I've found out. Crap rolls downhill, ya know.

    Carefully explain your situation. Be very specific about what it is you're unhappy about and exactly what you want done. The higher-ups will be very unhappy to hear that a customer was treated that way.

    If that doesn't get action (it usually does) then write a letter to the regulating body (such as it is) for the insurance companies (not sure what it is in the US). cc the president/vice-president of your insurance company and your adjuster. You'll be amazed at how fast they move.

    Really, they want to protect their public image and prevent a scandal. As long as they're presented with a specific complaint and exactly what you want done, going to the higher-ups usually produces a rapid resolution to the problem.

    You've just been dealing with low-level idiots too long. It's time to deal with high-level idiots.

    Go in there swinging, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should say that a telephone call is the first line. When dealing with higher-ups, I prefer a letter. That way I can work out exactly what I want to say and how to say it.

    A letter also means written evidence and a paper trail (as I'm sure you know).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a construction claims paralegal, remember? I know exactly which buttons to push, I'm just giving this idjit the rope to hang himself. I want to talk to my Roof Guy and get the dates and times he talked to adjusterman before I call his boss and say things about bad service and Bad Faith....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, good. I WAS thinking, "Catherine should know all this." Impatient me was wondering why you hadn't already lit a fire under this person--figuratively speaking.

    Now that I think of it, literally may not be a bad idea, either. As a last resort, of course. ;-D

    ReplyDelete