Saturday, November 18, 2006

Stolen from Cursing Mama:

Your Social Anxiety Level: 12%

You have low social anxiety.
You don't have any social anxiety. In fact, you love being social.
You're well adjusted and likely quite outgoing. Your social skills put others at ease.


This is hilarious to me, because: 1) I agree with it; and 2) it was totally self-taught. I was raised to believe I was Shy. My parents were both socially ill at ease, and I was raised, imprinted like a baby duck, that being ill at ease is How We Are. Imagine my surprise, as an adult out in the world, to realize that this is something you can totally control at will!

It's possible to be not outgoing and yet be social. Channel Grace Kelly. She was the queen of cool and charming. I always put on my Grace Kelly mask when I attend some corporate function, and apparently it works, because people seem to think I'm cool and they respect me. No, I'm not going to jump up and line dance with the girls from the mortgage company in a spangled gown with a Bud Light in my hand (I saw this at a Christmas party years ago, I didn't make it up as a hypothetical). But I can laugh and hug people and not drink too much wine and be all smooth and not make an ass of myself, and I taught my ownself to do it, because God knows I didn't learn it at home. If I can do it, you can too.

4 comments:

dragon knitter said...

i got 8%. wow!

Anonymous said...

Um... I think mine was 72% or something. :-O It's funny, because people I don't know well often decribe me as bubbly and vivacious. Apparently I fake it well?

Catherine said...

Maybe it's really trying vs. my saying, "This is how I will play this," and then assuming the persona and just playing it? It takes Work to be bubbly and vivacious. I will work a room and make social talk and laugh and hug people, but I am not vivacious. I have no "social anxiety" but I don't particularly enjoy it. I'm on the fence about this year's corporate holiday party, because I have done decades of command performances at my own and my husband's and, like putting up a Christmas tree, I just don't really care this year. I should go, but, damn.

Anonymous said...

You should see me at work. I open my mouth and bullshit comes out. It's astonishing. Of course, that happens at the keyboard with alarming regularity, but it's not intentional then.
sallyjo