Saturday, November 18, 2006

If it was a horse, I'd shoot it.

This computer, I mean. I just took Clara's bandwith in my hands and posted on Knitter's Review, but I'll ask here too - what is the PITA factor in switching from a PC to a Mac? What is the real learning curve for someone who has been using Windows daily for the last 20+ years? I am totally over Windows - not using it, it's easy, but the endless patches, upgrades, virus alerts, quirks and error messages. I have been thinking Mac for a while, this 5 year old Dell desktop just isn't working for me anymore, Bill Gates has pissed me off for the last time, I want a divorce and I'm ready to call the lawyer. I'm trying to think about what I have to do before wiping this hard drive and giving this thing to charity, and what software applications I might not be able to use, and you know, aside from backing up my photos and my resume, there ain't all that much. I am going to pick up a bunch of CDs tomorrow and start backing up and, God help me, ORGANIZING photos. My camera software is Mac-compatible, a Mac will talk to my wireless network here, and it will even talk to the Microsoft Exchange server at the office. I can't think of a good reason NOT to do this.

I am not sure what I really need. My inclination is to go with the 15 inch MacBook Pro, 1GB of memory will do it for me for quite some time, I can always upgrade later. I know I need iWork. Otherwise, does anyone have any technical advice, things you love that I should consider? I really don't need another desktop. Though the Mac would live on this desk most of the time, it would free up a lot of desk real estate now occupied by a fat tower and monitor and speakers and such.

Knitting talk: I woke up this morning after a bad night's sleep and the weirdest damn dreams, and grabbed more of that Shepherd's Sport in the Jeans colorway, and cast on socks that will fit my son's skinny feet.

I am restless and want to spend money, but I'm holding off on the new computer for a few weeks. The money can sit in my savings account while I force my lazy ass to back up the things I need off Old Nellie here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would spring for MS Office for Mac if you use the Windows version at work; you can get a student edition for not much money if you have a student or teacher in the house--will your daughter still qualify? Just order the student edition from Amazon. I think Mac is intuitive, easy to adjust to. I've been using it for 22 years; Windows for 9. I'm getting rid of all the Windows computers now. Just bought the large MacBook Pro, 17 inch as well as an Intel iMac for the desk (have a home business). If you have an Apple store nearby, go play with one.

Anonymous said...

I love my Mac, but this summer my hard drive completely crashed and I lost everything. What really made me mad was that my G4 laptop was only two years old but the employees at Comp USA were able to install a new hard drive for not much money but were not able to save anything off of my old hard drive, so I am now a convert and back up everything. We also have both Mac and PC computers at home and really they both have their quirks and frustrations I would go play with one at a Mac store and see if it is something you like. One word of warning at times it can be hard to find software that is readily available for a PC so make sure you know what it is you want to use it for and make sure they have the software available to do that. That being said I do love iphoto it is so easy to use. I also bought the student edition of MS Office at Comp USA and no one asked for any student id, they didn't require it when I sent in the reciepts for the rebates. From what I've read you can go ahead and order it online and no one is going to check but I could be mistaken about that. Toni in Oregon

Catherine said...

I already know that everything I use regularly is Mac compatible. I do need Office, but probably not the student edition, it is limited at least in the PC version. I do have an Apple store a half hour away, and after the holidays I'll visit, it'll be quieter. Nellie will limp along a couple of months.

Anonymous said...

I say go for a Mac. I have one at home but use a PC at work - almost every piece of software runs on a Mac, too. Apple computers are just more intuitive and have way cooler software bundled in.

iPhoto is the easiest out there. iTunes is awesome, iWeb rocks. Very much like their current line of TV commercials implies - PCs are for the business world, Macs are for fun, creative applications. Both can accomplish either task, but if your home computer is for fun (photos, blogs, e-mail, etc) then get the equipment that is better at executing those things.

There is a learning curve, shortcuts are a bit different, some things function differently, but I find that the way the Mac works is just more fluid so it's easy to pick up. I believe you are around my mother's age and I wouldn't recommend that she try to switch to a Mac, but you are so much more savvy then she - not to mention okay with change - that I think you will love a Mac.

Anonymous said...

BTW - we had a powerbook for 4 years. Sold that to my brother and got a 20-inch iMac a few months ago. Honestly, it doesn't take any more desk real estate then a laptop and the big screen is great.

Go to an Apple store and play first - you may want the iMac over a laptop if you know you don't need the portability of the MacBook.

Bess said...

Oh lawsee, twin. We finally started talking New Computer and Mac was the first thing that popped into my head - and out of my mouth.

socks. Must Knit Socks

Anonymous said...

I have grown up with Macs, and I am always truly puzzled at how PCs just seem to strive to make things harder than they have to be. Look at any package of software and read the installation instructions for both. Half a page for pc installation, and Mac says "Double click the Install Icon".

I work with a web programmer who has both systems on his desk, and he agrees that PCs are unnecessarily more complicated in every way.