Saturday, September 25, 2004

It seems like everybody was a bit more casual about Jeanne - after Charley and Frances, it's becoming routine - we went a couple of weekends without a hurricane hitting our part of FL (Ivan just rained on us here), we were due. I do wish we'd get a one mid-week sometime, to break the monotony. We did laugh yesterday that we know what time the National Hurricane Center posts the tracking maps and, as if by reflex, everybody flips to it on cue. I just flipped to the 5 a.m., and oh look, Jeanne's track moved again with this 5 a.m. update - this time it's coming in somewhere north of West Palm - and it's back on that angle that puts it right up through Orlando. Crap. It's not just the coast under the hurricane warning, my county is too. At my house they're talking sustained winds 85, gusts higher, 5-7 inches of rain. It's like Charley, but from the east - big, fast, powerful, and coming here. And the timing is the part I hate - landfall in the middle of the night. Crap. A night in the back bedroom on the far side of the storm may be in order.

Federal Express left a note on my door about a package that required a signature. I have no freaking idea what this could be. I ordered pond cleaner and some stuff from J.Jill, both packages arrived days ago via UPS. So I guess today I will mobilize early and hit the FedEx office if I can, if they're open (I'll call first, but FedEx seems to run through everything). Laundry is already laundering, I have clean catboxes, water, ice, batteries, the usual. I need to lower the water level in the pond, take out the new pump and bring it in so it doesn't get fried, move the grill (again), and otherwise, it's just time to sit and wait. Shit.

No comments: