Thursday, June 27, 2024

Epic Birthday Week in Progress.

 Okay, so, I'm one day into my 4 day weekend for my birthday, and so far, this has been the most magical birthday week ever. 

It started with the Princeling getting a thumbs up, go forth and be a cordless baby from the cardiologist on Monday. 

Then, Disney announced a change to the Genie+ program - I'll keep this really short because it's very inside Disney, but basically, they used to have a beloved way to skip long ride lines, then changed it to something NOBODY loved, and have now announced that in July they'll be going back to the way the old system worked, of course without ever admitting that Genie+ was a massive clusterfuck. But whatever. As a passholder I got a lot of surveys, and on every single one I suggested that they make the changes that were just implemented. Obviously I wasn't the only one, the people have spoken and Disney got it and fixed their fucked up system. Yaaay! 

Then:

On Wednesday, I did my usual morning workday ritual. Got up, turned on coffee, took dogs for their morning pee, sat down with dogs and their morning treaties and my coffee, to check in with the world.

I am NOT a big gambler or lottery player. I never buy scratch off tickets, I can't even tell you the names of the many games available in Florida. I don't spend more than a Starbucks beverage (which I don't buy) on the lottery. But somehow, I can't even remember how or why, I bought tickets for a Florida Lottery game called Jackpot. And I discovered that it was a small dose of endorphins, because I nearly always won something small. I'd usually get a free ticket or $5 or $6 or 20, I think one time I got about $60, and lots of free tickets and small dollars in between. So it became my thing to spend a few bucks a week when I bought groceries at Publix, depending on the available jackpot.

Anyway, last couple of drawings I got like 2 free tickets and six bucks, and joked with the lady at the Publix customer service counter: I would reinvest my winnings in three more $2 tickets. 

Yesterday morning I drank my coffee and remembered my tickets, and checked them via the lottery app. Loser, loser, loser...wait, this has some of the numbers, maybe I won $50? Maybe more? I scanned the ticket and sat there dumbstruck.



Seriously. I checked it like, half a dozen times, then looked up the redemption process online, filled out the paperwork and got directions to the office. I already had taken the day off, so today I went to the district office and got the check, it's already in my bank account. Federal taxes were withheld, etc. that'll get sorted out when I file taxes next year, but the bottom line is I'd been saving up for a Disney cruise next spring and that's now paid for, and my home emergency fund was replenished in time for hurricane season. Yeah. This happened. I'm still in shock.

Epic. Birthday. Week.


5 comments:

  1. Amazing win, congratulations!!! Have a Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:20 PM

    wow, just wow. Happy Birthday! What a great week. Kimmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:43 AM

    I love it when good things happen to people who deserve them! (Not That) Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will second the comment that good things happen to those who deserve them! Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete