Monday, February 06, 2012

Critter Update.

So, I'd tried Murphy on the canned version of the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal LF diet, and he LOVED it! LOVED IT!!! I thought, "Whoopee! No more cooking skinless, boneless de-fatted chicken breasts for the dog!" And fed him that food for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Sophie also loved canned, so I gave her Eukanuba chicken and rice. And she had gas, and got noticeably chubbier.

And Murphy's poo got runny. And stayed runny, despite going back on a daily dose of the ever-faithful prednisolone. I was ready to take him back to the vet, but he's otherwise chipper and not throwing up and in no distress, so I decided to analyze what was different.

So I thought, "Hmmm..." The only thing different in the equation was the introduction of the canned version of the dry food he'd been eating with chicken. Duuuuh. Yesterday I picked up some skinless, boneless, fatless chicken cutlets, and boiled same, and served them up over dry Royal Canin, with a few green beans. And he (and Sophie) ate with gusto. He slept better. He didn't have the runs later. He didn't have the runs this morning. And this evening, we had (sound of trumpets) a semi-normal poo! And he's not gassy. Neither of them are.

So, the convenience of the canned is not for us. Both dogs are better and happier on the very fatless chicken plus dry. Fortunately these are teeny dogs and it's really no more expensive to cook fancy skinless boneless chicken breasts for them than to buy quality canned food.

Higgins is eating his whitefish and cheddar. He likes it if I stand over him and encourage him and call him a good boy for eating. I swear to God I'm running a nursing home.

Sophie is my bright spot of energy. She LOVED the Super Bowl last night! I turned it on though I didn't have a team to root for, just because it's a spectacle and I do love football. Sophie loves football too. Sophie was glued to the TV from the opening minutes and watched the entire game. She sat on the floor, she stood on her hind legs watching exciting plays and interesting commercials, she sat on the floor again. Then she retreated to the couch, and I thought she'd lost interest - but when there was a big play she was on her feet and on the ottoman watching. I kid you not, she watched the entire game (she didn't think much of Madonna's halftime show and catnapped, but I thought it was a riot). Today, she slept. I could barely stir her to go out - she was passed out in the big chair. I don't know if she was just tired, or if she really was rooting for the Patriots.

6 comments:

caroline said...

Soooo glad the wee beasties are better. Hope you're getting some sleep! and thanks for the card! Dennis read it to me. I'll reply once I get to AVL. Things are a little hectic right now.

k said...

Can Higgins still see and hear?
Look at it this way; (she mumbles something about hobbies, and wanders off.)

Linda said...

I had a cat that wouldn't eat anything unless I put a spoonful of Campbell's Beef with Barley soup and petted her the entire time. Oh! And get a suitcase out? She sould RUN for her food dish, gorge herself and the give it back to me on the carpet! sigh. Good times. :D

Anonymous said...

I swear Higgins just wants the attention after having ignored you for so many years. Or he's paying you back for moving to AVL without him.
Your description of Sophie watching TV is hilarious - did she like the commercials featuring dogs? I know some folks were offended by the D*rit*s commercial, but I thought it was a hoot.

That being said, the only thing I saw was the commercials- we dont have a TV. Keeps the stress down, although I've broken down and gotten Netfilx while I've been recovering from back surgery.

Kimmen

Catherine said...

Sophie's favorite commercial was the Reebok ad with the French Bulldog winning a race wearing tiny shoes. A couple of others got her attention, but that one had her leaping at the TV.

Catherine said...

No wait, that wasn't Reebok, it was Sketchers, I think. All I remembered was the dog, which I think makes it a very expensive ad FAIL.