Thursday, July 28, 2005

What? What? You'll have to speak up!

I have about six men on my roof ripping it off and putting down felt for the new roof (then it has to be inspected, it gets shingled tomorrow). It's really, really loud, and I have a frightened Boston Terrier hiding under my bed when he isn't glued to my lap. Murphy, the cats and the Girl are all sleeping through it.

And damn, Clara at KR was driven to lock down the spirituality section just as I came across this very interesting article from the August Harper's, courtesy of TheInfinite Stitch. A quote:

... Here is a statistic that does matter: Three quarters of Americans believe the Bible teaches that “God helps those who help themselves.” That is, three out of four Americans believe that this uber-American idea, a notion at the core of our current individualist politics and culture, which was in fact uttered by Ben Franklin, actually appears in Holy Scripture. The thing is, not only is Franklin’s wisdom not biblical; it’s counter-biblical.

The excerpt is excellent. I'll have to pick up the magazine later.

6 comments:

  1. I thought that quote came from one of Aesop's fables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 PM

    The May issue of Harpers was good, as well. "The Christian Right's War on America" with essays by Jeff Sharlet and Chris Hodges. I haven't been over to KR in awhile but I heard rumblings elsewhere. I'll have to check it out. :)

    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:04 PM

    Any idea why KR's Clara shut down the spirituality section?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the nastiness just got to her and she gave everybody a time out. The timing sucked, though, because I would have liked to introduce a discussion of being Christian in America in that crowd, and the article would be a good jumping-off point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog, Dianna, you and Kerstin find the most interesting stuff. I only post about it if I fall over it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete