Thursday, July 28, 2005

Rant.

This rant triggered by: Enchanting Juno. Love her blog, understand her sentiment, but damn, it triggered all my Issues with NASA.

I was home during the launch, and walked outside to watch the little flame climb into the bright, hot sky. Coincidentally, I was home the day Challenger blew up, it was a crisp, cold winter day in FL and I remember how the big cloud stayed in place in the sky for an extraordinarily long time. I was home again in 2003 when the next one was lost - home doing cancer caregiver duty for my dying husband.

I live an hour or so inland from the Cape and my life has been punctuated by launches and returns (I'm on the flight path when they land in FL, and we get double sonic booms that shake the windows and make the cats jump straight up). I've been their neighbor for 25 years and knew people who worked on the program. Back in the Day, my husband worked on one of the launch system computers and was out there for almost every launch. Both my kids did Space Camp - the one day version as a school trip, we were never rich enough or silly enough to ship their asses to Houston for a week of playing astronaut.

I am sick of all of the apologists for NASA. The shuttle program has never developed into anything more than an insanely expensive science fair project. I'm disgusted that this launch has turned out to be yet another NASA Whoopsie - 2.5 years and over a billion dollars flushed and the same frigging problem that killed the last crew cropped up again, and it's only sheer dumb luck that it apparently is not as bad this time, though you know everybody will be holding their breath until that thing is safely on the ground again. It's a measure of the seriousness of the situation that the response was to ground the entire fleet for the foreseeable future, AGAIN.

I always remember a college astronomy class in which the prof ranted on about the shuttle program as a waste of money, and explained how we learn so much more from unmanned probes and can do them for a fraction of the cost. At the time I didn't get it, but as the years passed I came to share his perspective. Each time they scrub a launch because a cloud came overhead or a bird pooped on something or, far more likely, something they spent a shitload of money to develop and swore up and down was working perfectly, uh, wasn't, it's millions and millions of dollars flushed down the toilet - the staging and setup of a launch are breathtakingly expensive. Three aborted launches could provide medical care to a huge chunk of the population, or build and equip many schools in inner cities, or...you get the idea. I know guvmint appropriations don't work that way, blah blah, but the reality is our tax dollars are doled out in various directions, and this is one with a really lousy return on our investment.

And the commercials - it's the commercials for the space center that freaking KILL me - the place is actually promoted as a theme park. We are bombarded with cutesy radio commercials, TV spots, aimed at the tourists - come look at all of our COOL SHIT! Play astronaut, buy souvenirs, you'll have so much fun! At least Disney and Universal and Sea World honestly ARE theme parks, but the Space Center is a damn taxpayer-supported government program, and the commercials just grate on me like you wouldn't believe. And if anything doesn't telegraph the significance of NASA in the War On Terra, how about the fact that we have ticket takers and snack bars in the middle of one of our "critical government programs" and are begging people to come wander 'round, we'll show you a good time?

When NASA sends up an unmanned probe that goes way out into the galaxy carrying messages and collecting data, that's cool. The shuttle program just makes me crazy. The fawning local news coverage, reassuring us all that "The shuttle will fly again!" - like we really care? - makes me want to scream. I'll be nervous until the crew lands safely, and if another one never leaves the ground, that's fine with me. The damn things are 30 years old and have never worked very well, let's just park them (we could turn them into snack bars!) and build something better that does something more useful. How about figuring out what we want to do and take the time to develop the technology to do it, like we did when we went to the moon, instead of creating missions around the equipment we have sitting in the garage? Just a thought....

Rant off. I'll shut up and knit.*

Edited slightly this morning for clarity, because even I think I was getting incoherent with disgust there. ;-)

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:53 AM

    Interesting. I spent some time a couple of days ago explaining to my 10 year old about space exploration when I was his age in the 60's. Then when I tried to think of what we have accomplished since then besides the two shuttle disasters, I kinda drew a blank. Something to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly said, as always!!

    How can we condone this "space jalopy" when 45 million Americans have NO HEALTH CARE???

    Boggles the mind! But with Alfred E. Bush at the helm, is it surprising?

    Canada looks more appealing every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't made any progress since the space walk when I was 3 except to pour money down the drain. So rant away althought the politicians won't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If someone could tell me what the point of the shuttle is I MIGHT be able to get behind it; until then it remains a giant thorn in my side too. I have all sorts of negative opinions about it, but am not informed enough to feel like I can say them out loud. To be certain I know the program provides thousands and thousands of jobs so eliminating the program has a lot of consequences economically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, let's see, they grow tomato plants and take pictures and culture bacteria and wave to schoolchildren - isn't that worth spending billions of tax dollars?

    I have sympathy for jobs being eliminated, but it happens in lots of industries and I don't see why the space program is different from any other (except, of course, that we subsidize it with our tax dollars). And if you lived here and heard the local media yapping about the "tourism dollars" generated by a launch, - well, I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but I still don't think that's what the space program was supposed to be all about selling souvenir t-shirts - but that's basically what it has degenerated to at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:13 PM

    I don't disagree with a lot of you said. The fact that the shuttle program is meant to be at least partially self-supporting has given it a confused mission - commerce? research? The program was never given a clear vision of what it was to accomplish - public relations for the government, mostly, I think. The manned space flight stuff in the 60s was very clearly focused and got results at least partly because they knew what they were aiming at.

    The shuttles are old and the program confused…but it is the only way there is to finish the space station, which I find fascinating and worthwhile, unmanned probes crap out just as spectacularly - the point for me is that it is walking into the unknown in some way and there is less and less of that in the world. If you get down to it - what was the point of walking on the moon other than beating the Russians there? But I still think is is an amazing acomplishment that pushed the boundaries of existing knowledge.

    I appreciate the perspective you offer. I don't know what it is to live near the company town, so to speak, to have the money-making, t-shirt shilling crap and extreme Americana/emotionally manipulative ads about it all up in your grill. Up north we don't get any of that, maybe it makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't disagree with you either, I'm just frustrated that our space program is focused on 30 year old technology and fixing the same problems year in and year out. I am all for space exploration, but this isn't really exploration anymore. The ISS? Yeah, it's there, and it's a worthy thing, but I think it's the cart before the horse - they should have replaced the shuttle with something newer and better before leaving people stranded on the space station. Haste and arrogance and the need to justify its own existence led to having to keep patching the shuttles. As for unmanned probes crapping out - sure they do, but when they do they don't kill anybody and they cost far, far less.

    And yes, the ads are enough to make you barf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I've been really on edge since they said the piece damaged a tile. DH tunes in every evening to see how things are going. I will never, ever forgot the two disasters, and the stunned look on Kristie MacAuliff's mother's face at the first one. I love the space program and it's getting short changed. My cousin works at NASA in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My personal bottom line on NASA - we are way past time to make them get off the pot. Either take it seriously and throw money and time and top talent at upgrading the hardware to do it right, or concentrate on unmanned probes. I'm tired of them presenting it to us as a variation on the "If you are against the war, you hate the troops" propaganda piece - we could ditch the shuttle and spend the money on R&D and STILL explore space via unmanned probes in the meantime. It's not either-or. The shuttle has always been flaky and unreliable hardware and always will be, and we are not rolling in cash as a nation and at this point the shuttle program is desperately trying to justify its own existence. They had EVERYTHING hanging on this being a picture perfect flight, and now they're out there doing a spacewalk with a roll of duct tape. Everything's FINE, REALLY! There are NO problems! Why do you hate America? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete