Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Saturn, Saturn, Go Away....

Today was a Good Day - mostly because Boss and I had lunch with a fellow alumnus from The Big Developer That Must Not Be Named. This guy was actually my boss after Boss was ejected, during the time my husband was dying and I already had enough shit on my plate for two lifetimes, my job was also thrown into instability and disarray.

Anyway, this guy, the second Boss, was totally a real estate guy all the way, (unlike Boss and me, we are construction people) and this guy was SO ego-reinforcing re my real estate skills, drafting ability, all-around smarts and confidence, reassured me that I really did know what the fuck I was doing in real estate world, was kind, supportive and a good egg during the hellish last year of my husband's life - today we greeted each other with big, hard hugs. We went through separate hellish shit and both survived and are thriving, thank you.

So this guy, hereinafter "B2," left TBDTMNBN about a year after I did, with even more drama than Boss and I did, and has landed in gravy - he's out of the lawyer game/bullshit (though he IS still an attorney - I don't want anybody to think he was, like, disbarred or something, he's just using his lawyering smarts in business) and is a land acquisition guy. Same gig Boss is up for. Same job I'll be understudy to my new boss for at the new job. It was just a happy story-swapping, contact swapping, resource swapping lunch, which went on way too long considering I'm supposed to keep a timesheet like Fred Fucking Flintstone and can't take more than an hour for lunch. [One of my beefs about the soon-to-be-ex-job - I loathe being "non-exempt" and the new job is exempt, no timesheets at all, let alone the three I am expected to keep now. An hours timesheet. A billable hours timesheet. A paralegal to do list. Okay, so that's not a timesheet, but if you're already tracking billables and it overlaps the to do list, what the fuck is the point of that thing? I could never remember to fill it out. But I digress.]

Lunch with B2 was so uplifting for both of us, gave Boss the reinforcement that the potential new gig is the way to go, gave me much insight into how I want to spin this new job in this new baby builder outfit that doesn't know what it wants from me yet into what I want to be doing. B2 is so positive, happy, practical - he left us with a list of names we'd half forgotten - "Wanna know the cost per unit of X? Call..." And we left our overlong lunch feeling jazzed - we had both gone into this side of construction, developer world, years ago, knowing construction but damn little about developers, and we still feel like frauds at times, but after lunch with B2, we realized that we know a lot more than we think and know people who know people, and that's what it's all about. We can dance the Developer Hokey-Pokey. Yeah.

And let's recap: Salary: 10% more plus profit sharing. Commute: 10 minutes shorter. No timesheets! Wear Jeans Whenever You Want/It's Appropriate Based On Who You Are Seeing/What You Are Doing, Because You Are An Adult And Can Dress Yourself. Not on some Corporate "Oh, today we will designate Blue Jean Day, aren't you lucky?" (because you are our bitch and we OWN you and never forget it!) model.

Best of all: Brainwork! I get to draft and analyze and think again! Will I remember how? Yeah, sure I will, I never submitted to the Dilbertian Lobotomy. It will be challenging at first, but I'm so over this non-thinking stuff.

And when did Crazy Aunt Purl say Saturn was going to get its fat morose ass out of our way? The 16th? I'm already feeling good vibes, baby.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Three timesheets to the wind, girlfriend,
    SAIL ON!
    BRAINWORK....oh yeah!
    Greta

    ReplyDelete