Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Oh, my GAWD....

x2! Thanks .Kerstin.

I drove through an afternoon rainstorm (normal FL event) that actually freaked me out a bit today. It was so heavy and the grounds are so sodden, the roads flooded almost instantly, cars were crawling through floorboard-high water, and this is on the high ground, in an area I have known for over 20 years, and I can't remember these roads under water. We are getting slammed with moisture on a daily basis, and hours of a tropical storm would flood places that never flood. Last year was so unbelievably dry (until the hurricanes started) it was bizarre. I've been a homeowner here since, uh, '82? I've been in this house, about a mile from the house where we raised the kids, for, hell, 9 years now. There is a difference in the strength and quality of the extremes, even to this layperson, that can't be written off as El Nino or La Nina. The dry is drier, the wet is wetter. I can remember when tropical storms went up the coast near us in years past and left clear, clean air in their wake. Now the storms go on for days and drag cloud cover and more moisture with them. Dennis was miles away and we had three days of it. And that's a change I see in 20 years. I ain't no meteorolgist, but something is different here.

3 comments:

  1. Flipping through tv channels today I just caught this dialog:

    What's that smell?

    Oh. That's mothballs. It's the state smell of Florida.


    For some reason, I thought of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A falsehood! The actual smell of the state of Florida is MILDEW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought mildew was the state flower.

    ReplyDelete