Saturday, May 28, 2005

ebay and Maul Madness

Veni, Vidi, VISA. Is that right? My Latin's virtually non-existent, even Legalese is in plain English these days, save for a few archaic phrases. We hit the mall, we saw shit we liked, we bought it. Girl scored, but of course, Girl's wardrobe would make a bag lady snicker and she really needed to score. I scored a tank and cute little black sandals, and I'm going to compensate for the lack of on the ground kills with some Newport News bargain hunting. No, not the orange bikini - skirts and knit tops. If I'm going to upgrade my working life, God knows the wardrobe has to move with it.

We had to go to Anthropologie, and Girl fell in love with this sweater: Getaway Cardigan, and I looked at it and felt it and looked at the price tag, and she's way better off buying it than expecting me to make it. It's a lot of yarn for $128, Rowan would easily run that much, and cabling in that kind of cotton would kill my wrists. I was cackling, however, at the copious crochet everywhere we went - crochet is back in fashion, it's the trim on tank tops, it's a tablecloth, it's a shrug, it's everywhere. So my ebay scores are even more cool now....

As of yesterday there are two really solid "move as a team" packages on the table, neither would happen tomorrow, but that's fine, the timeline isn't as important as the quality of the prospect. I could find another job tomorrow, but "frying pan to fire" does not appeal. So one of these jobs is here in town, the other is our buddy in Coral Gables. And I was thinking aloud to Boy last night and realized that I don't want to/have to sell this house at all, so why would this be stressful? I could rent this place for more than the mortgage and maintenance and management fee and rent a conveniently located apartment down there. If I do make a move in that direction, that's definitely the way to go. I like OWNING real estate. I'm less enthralled with living in it and taking care of it with my own tired hands. And my job prospects are better in ANY other city in FL than this one.

Girl is off to Jax, her best friends invited her for the weekend, they are cooking out and inebriated stockbrokers will be skidding down a slip 'n slide. You can't pass up a show like that.

I will be dogsitting, but this is not hardship duty now. Unlike when I went to MD and left Girl here with a tiny baby puppy who cried in the night, Dudley is now a self-assured and mature big boy of almost 12 weeks, he plays hard and then sleeps hard, and goes to bed without a peep. He went to the vet the other day and weighed in at 7.2 lbs - he has nearly doubled in size in less than a month. He is happy and confident, sometimes a bit too full of himself, but generally easygoing and happy and obedient and a joy to be around. And God, he's smart. He's scary smart. His vocabulary is growing as quickly as his body, we are already talking to him in sentences and getting appropriate responses. "Dudley out!" can be "Okay Duds, let's go outside!" and he understands both equally. A very tuned-in, sharp little dog.

I slept horribly last night, the glute machine caused lower back pain HOURS later (felt totally fine and not a strain while I was doing it) and though I feel fine now, I will be crashing by 9:30 to catch up. Tomorrow I will hit the gym again.

1 comment:

  1. Go Catherine! I'm crossing everything crossable that one of these packages works out to be yours (and Boss') dream job.

    ReplyDelete