Saturday, January 05, 2019

Let's talk bullet journal.

If you look for synchronicity in your life, even casually, it tends to appear.  I was going to write about something I actually stuck with for the last couple of years, and it was the bullet journal. I've been asked about it and how "hard" it is, because if you Google it now, you'll find scads of artsy-fancy journals on Instagram and YouTube.  It's been artsy-fied and monetized for clicks, and yay for them for making money online when I haven't figured out how to do it.  Anyway, I'm as enchanted by the artsy lovely spreads created by artsy young'uns on Instagram and YouTube as anyone. I have some favorites I follow, because for me it's like the modern day version of Bob Ross and his happy trees.  I really enjoy the pretty bullet journal spreads, and there are some seriously talented artists doing fun things, and yay for them.  But I also had the feeling many of those who were monetizing the journal were...missing the point?

And apparently the creator of the bullet journal weighed in.

So, my point is this: the bullet journal is a tool for anyone. You don't need any artistic talent to use it. If you have the desire to make it cute and fun, go for it, but the way it's become distorted by the internet is really a disservice to what really was: a bare bones, clean and simple, get your shit together pen and paper system.

And as I was planning this post, my daughter told me she'd started a bujo. She's enjoying making it pretty, and she's way more artsy than I am.  She finds the creative stuff relaxing, and the concept useful.  She's using hers pretty much the way I do, as a to-do list for shit I think of at work that I'll forget by the time I get home, and I'm kind of excited that she's trying something her old mom likes. She'll do it her way, as I'll continue to do mine my way. Because that's the point. You don't do this for the Internet, you don't do it for a YouTube channel, you do it to organize your life. If you genuinely get pleasure out of making it pretty, by all means have at it. But if you're doing it for social media validation, you're seriously missing the point.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look so beautiful online! And I look at them and can't imagine spending that much time on what is - to me - an exaggerated monthly planner. So I went back to a Walmart calendar. But having said that, I'm developing a tiny spiral notebook to keep tract of things, like "what to tell the doctor" and "what I need for the new house," and that old standbye, "what do I want to get done tomorrow?" And that pretty pretty washi tape could be sooo useful. And fancy post-it notes would work wonderfully in my calendar. Maybe someday I will track habits. A goal!
Kirsten

Caroline aka FiberTribe said...

You've just inspired me to try this again. I was too intimidated by all the twee features the first time out. Alrighty.

Unknown said...

Funny, this is a thread over at Mason Dixon Knitting too. Seems very similar to the old Franklin Day Planner system, but with lots of scrapbooking influence. I must say, though, I did find a new planner style I’m trying for retirement. A week per page, with room for notes on the facing page. Been using it to record my health, whether or not the peregrine falcon comes and sits on my window ledge, and other observations. So far I’m liking it.
Kimmen

Catherine said...

I hadn't looked at MDK in eons. I found the bullet journal thread, but just skimmed it. The main thing about the bullet journal concept (it's not a Franklin Planner; I had that one too) is the simplicity and customization. Which the internets took over and made all about copying other people's shit, instead of doing what you need. Mine is an overview of the month and a daily to-do list. I can think of a couple of planning pages I need for a quick vacation in June and stuff the house needs, but yeah, the original concept has been Pinterested and YouTubed and Instagrammed into a circus.