Sunday, December 30, 2018

Happy Almost New Year!

 We had a very pleasant little Christmas, and I followed up by coming down with a cold that took over my brain for most of last week.  Not as bad as last year, not the flu, but what is it with me getting sick around the holidays?  I'm on the mend; I've reached the disgusting "productive cough" phase of the festivities. I was well enough yesterday to take down the Christmas decorations and reclaim my yoga space in my living room.  I had been doing yoga in my bedroom while the tree was up, but it's a bit tight there.

I have Plans for 2019; reviving this blog is one of them.   I've spent the last couple of years elsewhere online, obsessed with political Twitter, and not accomplishing all that much for ME.  I'll remain obsessed with politics, because there is NOTHING more important than saving our democracy, period, and shit's about to get even crazier in 2019. But I need to focus on myself as well.

My three self-care items:  yoga, walking, and WW.  I've been doing fairly okay, muddling along with all three, but for the month of January and beyond, I'm going to step it up and commit to goals for all three:

Yoga: Yoga with Adriene, specifically her new year January program, Dedicate.
I just printed the calendar and was happy to see that other than the first couple of sessions, the daily practices are all under 30 minutes, which means I can get them done before work.  I am much more likely to do yoga in the morning than in the evening when I get home hungry and the animals are clamoring for attention and...and...and.

Walking: WW has added guided exercise options to its app, and I'm going to start with their walk/jog component.  I can already walk a 5k with ease, but yeah, I'd like to progress to running, if my knees will let me.  I have good shoes for the first time in my life and haven't been bothered by knee pain when walking since I found the right ones for me, so we'll see if this 60 y.o. grandma can become any sort of runner.  (There, I put it out on the innerwebs for all to read, so now I have to go for it.) I commit to walking/jogging 30 minutes a day after work at least 3x a week, with a longer walk/jog on the weekend, weather permitting.  This IS Florida, after all, and so far our "dry season" has been rainy AF, with building-shaking thunder and lightning.  We had a few cool, pleasant days, but the A/C is running again.  This means my mission to get into that drawer full of shorts that are too tight is even more critical.

WW: no explanation needed, just stick with it.

Serendipitously, WW has an article this morning about goal setting, I wrote the above before I read it, but I'm accidentally doing what they said: instead of making a resolution about "getting in shape," phrase it as the 4 Ws:  What you'll do, When you'll do it, Where you'll do it, and With whom (if anyone.)  So my yoga goal for January would look like: What: Dedicate. When: every morning. Where: my living room: With: Yoga with Adriene.

 So those are my three primary self care plans for January.  I still have the no spending on non-essential crap plan, of course, and I really want to get my creative groove back, so 2019 is going to be chock full of stuff to do.

Today's missions are mundane: Leia the RAV4 still needs an oil change, the aforementioned head cold from hell led me to postpone it for a few days.  I need to plan meals and restock the fridge, and dump the rest of the lowfat eggnog.  Sophie needs to go to the vet at 1 for her annual checkup, which was postponed too long already.

Okay, 2019, I'm ready! Let's do this!




2 comments:

Caroline aka FiberTribe said...

Again, so glad you're back. I've grown weary of the 'blogs' that are really just selling things. I know we all need to make a living, but still. I've sorely missed blogging for blogging's sake. Thanks for the reminder about Adriene. I've signed up! Happy Happy New Year, Catherine!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! since I retired (thank G**, hallelujah and amen) I have been focused on trying to get some semblance of health and Pain Relief. I found an amazing physical therapist that has made an INCREDIBLE difference in just 2 visits. She has suggested Feldenkrais classes, which I start tomorrow. I’ve done some online trials, and it works surprisingly well for freeing up the body without pain. So I’m hopeful. Tai chi is next.

Here’s to a good new year to you and your family.
Kimmen