Thursday, February 06, 2014

Escapist Fiction.

When the A/C quits and the bathtub leaks and the fence is falling down as the weeds take over the yard, what else is there to do but disappear into a good book?

A few months ago I listened to an abridged version of The Grand Sophyand loved it, but was deeply disappointed that it had been cut from the full novel to a barely 4 hour mini-book. The other day, while browsing Audible for a new read, I discovered that they now have the entire, unabridged novel in audio! I spent my credit immediately.

I love this book! I love most of Heyer's books, but this one is my favorite. Sophy is a riot - a tall, confident, funny, take-charge woman in a world of simpering upper-class "misses" - and the plot is of course classic Heyer, with romantic intrigues and comical minor characters, and above all, witty, sparkling dialogue that has me laughing out loud while walking the dogs. I have always said that romance novels aren't my thing, and they still aren't, but I put Georgette Heyer in a class by herself.

A morning walk with The Grand Sophy and my own Sophie (Murphy wasn't in the mood) has put me in a better frame of mind. I'll be calling the A/C guy first thing, then hounding some contractors about an estimate on the bathroom, and I'll figure out how to pay for it all somehow. I did get a promotional rate offer on my Visa card - 15 months at 4.9% interest - and that's about as good as it's going to get, I think.

It will all work out, it always does. I'm over last night's pity party.


2 comments:

besshaile said...

I love Heyer too - the only worthy successor to Austen, if you ask me. I felt a Georgette urge coming on just last night - I think I'll succumb.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Ah, at last, a new author to take into the heart or hearts. Thank you!