Thursday, November 14, 2013

I went to a good continuing education today!

Normally, they are a day in a chilly windowless room in hell, sitting on an uncomfortable, barely upholstered banquet room chair, listening to people with the personalities of dryer lint droning on about stuff I already know. This one was actually full of stuff I didn't know, and therefore useful, and the speaker was a very high energy attorney with the timing of a standup comic (it was clear he's been teaching this stuff for a while). The day did not drag, and I came out of it with three pages of notes about things to check on and learn more about, and a fat notebook of forms to review.  A very worthy $45 admission fee. I have paid so much more for so much less.

I am so very, very glad tomorrow is Friday. I've concluded that I have four very full work days in me, and the last day is just...I don't have much left to give.  Tomorrow will be a gentle day of planning next week and following up on things, and praying my phone doesn't ring with any new WTFs.  Please, please, no crazy calls.

I think I mentioned in passing the other day that my daughter and I stopped by a local raptor rehab center's "Owl Fest," and we enjoyed it, but Miss D appeared only mildly interested at best.  It was right before nap time, so she was crabby and had a meltdown on the 15 minute drive home from the parking lot to her house.  We agreed that it was good that it was nearby and free admission, because she didn't have much fun.

Last night my daughter texted me to report that Miss D had asked to "Go see Gamma and Murphy and Sophie, and Oh Owls!  Go see owls!" 

I would have sworn she'd had a lousy time at the Owl Fest, but apparently she was taking it all in in her own way. "Go see owls!"  She cracks me up.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ornithologist in the making !!

Gae, in Callala Bay

Catherine said...

Veterinarian, engineer, ornithologist - she's a little sponge who is interested in everything, and it's so much fun to watch her take it all in.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it the most fascinating Domestic Anthropology Course?
When my two were about Miss D's age, I read Jane Goodall's books about chimpanzee society, and believe it or not, gained some useful insights into my own little primates.
Sponge, vacuum cleaner, they are omnivorous and voracious learners at that age.

Gae, in Callala Bay