Saturday, December 17, 2011

Three Generations of Crazy Dog Ladies

Went to the AKC Eukanuba National Championship today, and had an amazing time. I am wiped out.

Girlmama and Miss D picked me up at a quarter after 7 - we hit the Starbucks drive-thru (nothing for Miss D) and arrived at the convention center at 8. We parked and rode a bus from hither to yon, baby and stroller in tow. The shuttle bus drivers were very nice and stowed the stroller for us. From parking the car to walking in the door was, as I'd expected, another half hour. The convention center is absolutely massive.


But we were in the door bright and early, and navigated our way to the Bostons' judging ring, where many Bostons were sitting around but things were apparently already behind schedule. I don't know who was judging that ring and it might not have been the judge's fault, but by the time the Bostons entered it was well after 10, when they started packing the largest group of dogs into one of the smallest rings:


It looked like a bunch of business people waiting for a train into the city on "Take Your Boston Terrier to Work Day".

We watched them packed in like sardines, but realized that it would be hours of judging - they had to break them into groups and it took HOURS to get through the crowd, and we didn't know anybody in the ring so we had nobody to root for, so we took off to see other things.

The Absolute BEST Event of the day was the Dock Diving, and dammit, my geriatric pocket camera didn't have the shutter speed to capture a damn thing. I will have a better camera next year.

I did get a few good shots of dogs holding still - this was by far the best. This Scottie saw me take out my camera and sat up straighter and did the head tilt and struck a pose for me. What a pro!


My daughter fell in love with the Spinone Italiano - I was already infatuated.


And this Crazy Dog Lady in training was an absolute champ - we took a couple of feeding and diaper breaks and she took a couple of catnaps, but she was absolutely wonderful about being dragged to her first dog show - and one of the biggest in the world, at that - at her tender age. She received a lot of attention herself, and was snorfled and had her toes kissed by massive Leonbergers.


We are already planning next year. This show is supposed to be in Orlando until 2015, so we have a Christmas outing already penciled in - we are beat, but it was hugely fun.

2 comments:

besshaile said...

I swear I can't get over how much SuperD looks like SuperG(irl)

two beauties

Catherine said...

There IS a family resemblance there - it'll be fun to see how alike they look as they get older.