Monday, December 05, 2011

Productive Monday

My car is re-registered in FL - in fact, it is wearing the same license plate it wore when we left, they just issued me a new sticker. Easy-Peasy. Cross that off the list. Figured out online that I am just under the wire to not have to apply for a new passport in person, so that renewal is on its way via Express Mail tomorrow.

I was at my desk filling out my passport renewal application online when my daughter texted me to ask what I was doing. I told her, and she said that Delaney was giving her a taste of the joys of her teenage years already and she was going to take her for a walk, so she and Delaney were going to walk over to my house, if I'd be home.

I said I'd be here, and when she's here we'll hang my bedroom mirror! We had a mission! I have a big (at least 3 ft. by probably 4+ ft) dresser mirror that hangs on the wall over the dresser. It has been leaning awkwardly in a corner, mocking me, since the furniture was delivered on, oh, that would be November 3rd, just one of the many minor things I haven't attended to yet. So they walked here and we parked D on my bed with the ceiling fan twirling overhead. She was happy - she is crazy for ceiling fans, as most babies are - and we tackled the mirror. It took me two tries to get the mirror the right height, which is sad because I did it perfectly in one shot in Asheville, but it is up and looks good.

Meanwhile, Murphy was a complete ass, desperate to KISS THE BABY!!! NOW!!!! He shrieked, he cried, he hit notes that affect the human eardrum like an icepick. (I could just picture Supergirl wrinkling her nose and shaking her head in disapproval and saying, "No Murphy, Timeout.") When held up to see the baby his tongue darted like a snake and his little legs were swimming in midair, convinced he could somehow power himself over to shower his love on her. He was not allowed to do that (see: crazy, screaming, legs churning) so he got so worked up he ran out onto the balcony to have a tiny attack of diarrhea. Such is life with his delicate condition - it is stirred up by stress, just like human colitis can be, and I'm just glad he had enough sense to rush to the balcony when he felt it coming on.

He of course was NOT allowed on the bed to see the baby, because he was clearly too worked up to behave.

Sophie, OTOH, stood on her hind legs, paws on the bed, looking calmly interested, and my daughter asked her if she wanted to see the baby. She put Sophie on the bed near Delaney, and Sophie quietly walked around her, sniffing delicately, tentatively kissing her fingers and toes.


After the inspection was complete, she leaned over to give her a dainty kiss on the cheek.


Sophie likes this baby too.

After a while Murphy finally calmed down and we did spend some time on the couch, with me keeping a restraining hand on him in case he lost his mind again, but he did get to get closer to his new baby. He will get better. Maybe. Sigh.

Home Depot called, and the blinds will cost just about exactly what I'd anticipated - more than the estimate, but I knew the estimate was under-estimating when I came home and realized I'd totally "misremembered" the size of the fixed window in the kitchen. It's a big mother. And the bedroom vertical blind, when measured outside the casement, kicked it up into the next size class, but again, not beyond my best guesstimate.

No call from the appliance warranty company. Wednesday will be the end of the Holy 3 to 5 Days they had to have to locate this discontinued part. I predict I will not hear from them, and I will call them on Thursday, and we will see what happens. Boy, I'd like to be wrong.

1 comment:

besshaile said...

What a rich life Sophie is having! Just think - not too long ago she was the "new" baby.