Thursday, April 06, 2006

I'm exhausted, my feet hurt and tomorrow is Friday.

I'd be much happier if today was Friday, but I'll take imminent Friday. And it's so true - life is much easier when you cease to give a shit.

I'm feeling better about the Situation Gloom, I am going to hang back and monitor and only intervene when it's obvious that it has to be done for safety reasons. Otherwise, this is their choice. It's how they have lived their entire lives, and on some level it must be what they want. If they're still functioning, they can function as they wish. They aren't dangerous, they're just eccentric.

Work was hilarious, I'm so stretched in so many directions my brain is going to explode, but it's all interesting. I finally had some significant interaction with my new actual boss the company president, and it was good. The Faux Bossettes (Twinkie and Cupcake) situation continues to be amusing, but I've decided to sit back, let my age and experience work for me, and view it all with not-terribly-veiled disdain. It's just silly girl crap and I'm not going to let it get under my skin. I'm the grownup, I can ignore them, but if they push until I can't ignore them I'll rip their heads off.

I made a haircut appointment at a chi-chi-poo-poo Winter Park salon, because the local gal's cuts were too...erratic. Perfect!! Almost perfect. Oh shit. If the expensive salon guy can do what I want I'll gladly pay the bucks. A good haircut is one of those things where price is basically no object. I'll buy store brands at the supermarket, I'll do without eating out, but I have to look at that head in the ladies room mirror at 4 p.m. when I've been dragged through the wringer, and I want to like what I see, at least above my eyebrows. I can't do much for the tired face looking back at me. I'm earning that tired face.

Knitting: When did I become a one project at a time knitter? This is so not like me. I'm puttering along on the Seychelles Shawl, very slowly, maybe 4-6 rows a day, and it's not even 2 feet wide yet. Finished width: 96 inches. But I can't decide what I might want to start next, so for now, this will do. It's going to be in the high 80s this weekend, so even though I think about starting something woolly for next winter I have this feeling that there is plenty of time.

Shawl sighting: A meeting yesterday. Stranger (co-worker, but I don't know her) in sleeveless top and slacks carries with her a (storebought) basic garter stitch shawl in a green that picks up an accent color in her sleeveless-shell-and-slacks outfit. Drapes it over her shoulders to ward off conference room chill. Looks professional and chic. It was a reminder to me that simple is good, and plain is chic - a flashy Charlotte's Web shawl wouldn't have been appropriate in a conference room, but a plain, soft, simple shawl in a solid color really worked. I'm thinking a Pi Are Square in a DK weight gray wool from the stash, I have a ton of it. Yes, boring, but so versatile and meeting-appropriate. I may have to start that this weekend, if I have time. It's on The List.

2 comments:

geogrrl said...

Sounds like a plan. There's nothing wrong with the shawl you're working on in the colour you chose. It will look all professional when thrown over an otherwise neutral outfit... and you'd be surprised at how many colours will go with that salmon pink.

However, a Pi-R-Squared in a neutral is an excellent idea. Considering the colours I've seen you choose, I'd recommend a charcoal, but I'm also thinking a dark gold would look nice. What's in the stash?

Anonymous said...

Basic shawls are great at work. I wear them in the summer (for the A/C) and they work well and look nice. Linda