Friday, August 12, 2005

Yay, Friday!



And my brain is going off duty already. Love the new job, I really do, it's fun, it's interesting, it's so radically different from the brain-numbing walking-in-lockstep, fill-in-the-blanks world of my last job, my brain doesn't quite know what to do with itself yet. But after two weeks I'm really starting to feel like I have a vague clue of what's going on and where I can make a contribution. It's a strange situation, coming into a position that was created but not very clearly defined. I don't have a fixed set of duties, I have, "Hey, you know anything about this? Here, take care of it!" as the person giving me the assignment runs out the door to put out another fire. Which really isn't a bad way to work. Everybody in my department is smart and capable and the standards are high - you have to know your shit and be on top of it, there's only five of us - well, six, counting someone who works on contract (she's AWESOME, she sits there in meetings with a French manicure and jewelled toe rings, and she knows more about hands-on land development stuff than most of the burly, grizzled male managers I've worked with in my career) - and we are the directors, managers, and crisis central for the development of around a dozen projects. Today we finalized some HOA docs and my contributions were written in on the spot, and I raised some issues we'll be looking at next week which apparently nobody'd really thought through yet, which made me feel like I actually know my shit and have real substance to share here. It is definitely not an environment for fill-in-the-blanks-ers. I think I'm really going to like it.

But it is having an impact on my blogging, because I come home somewhat brain-fried (but in a good way) and this blog is going to be even more content-light than usual, I fear. I liked the Euroflax linen so much (and had half a skein left) I cast on another washcloth, this one in an even more brainless garter ridge pattern. I really would like to (someday!) make the definitive linen office cardigan for the Florida office. I'm already convinced that linen is head and shoulders above even the really nice cotton I've worked with - it's so much lighter, it would make a much better throw-on sweater for work. And I've never seen the point of cotton washcloths, personally - they weigh a damn ton when wet and don't really contribute much, lather-wise, even with liquid body wash. The linen washcloth is so much lighter, wrings out better, and lathers better. Now I'm all about linen yarns and want to explore them further.

Girl just called, she had a great shopping day at the outlet mall and is on her way home, we shall order Chinese food and watch the Gilmore Girls on the DV-R. Having a 22 year old in residence has expanded my horizons so much - I'd seen the Gilmore Girls before and really liked it, but I wasn't hooked. Now, I'm hooked.

The second greatest contribution she has made to my life is her intensive study of various cosmetic and styling tools. She's the Consumer Reports of beauty products. Recently she enriched her mother's life by purchasing a really good ceramic hair straightener from a beauty supply outfit. Damn, where was this little gem all of my frizzy life? I have hated what summer humidity does to my hair all of my life, and I've lived in FL for 23 years, so that's a shitload of bad hair days. Suddenly I have a perfect, sleek bob that stays perfect and sleek all day. It is raining, it was 95 degrees today, and I am STILL sitting here with a nice sleek bob. My hair looks "go out to dinner" good.

I used to start the workday looking reasonably sleek (thanks to much hair product) and end it looking frizzed, messy and wildly unprofessional. I grew up in the era of curling irons but my frizz was not responsive to mere hot metal so I scoffed at them. Hot ceramic - oh, damn, that's so amazing! As GAWD is mah Witnuss, I will nevuh live without one of these babies again!

Happy Friday. Let your brain take the night off.

No comments: