Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Oh please, not another damn hurricane. The report when I went to bed last night had it heading further north - we'd get brushed, not slammed. At this point the track puts it right over Central Florida. Again. This is really serious and not at all amusing - the biggest concern is the tons of debris still sitting around in nearly every neighborhood, waiting for the cleanup trucks to remove it. That and all the trees and structures that were weakened in the last storm that may not stand up in this one. It may change, but right now the projections make it way worse than Charley - bigger, badder, and moving slower. Charley was powerful but relatively fast-moving, it blew through my neighborhood in just a few hours. The amount of damage done by a big storm taking its sweet time is far worse.

I can't do anything about this by staying home to sit through it, and frankly, I'd rather not, so I'm still going to Girlchild's as planned. Now I just have to figure out how much of the contents of the fridge and freezer I can bring with me - might as well bring as much as I can, because I can't assume the luck I had with Charley will hold for two storms in a row. It also looks like I'll be gone an extra day, because Sunday night the storm will be just leaving the state.

I have a road trip today, working in a town that may just be ground zero for landfall this weekend. Hard to care about petty little legal matters when you put it in perspective, you know? I have to leave very early and I hope to be home early, so I can drive some big nails in the wobbly parts of my fence and do some other storm prep - and make lasagna. I had planned to make and bring lasagna, and dammit, I'm going to go ahead and do that.

Damn. This is not good.

No comments: