Thursday, September 09, 2004

Ivan is a Category 5 and so far we are directly on the path. Of course, the local weatherpeople are already doing the "Ivan the Terrible" schtick. This is just insane, we are all suffering from storm fatigue. The stress from the impending storm, dealing with the property damage and cleanup and repairs from the last two storms, the power outages and flooded roads and sinkholes opening up and on and freaking on, it just consumes your energy, it's hard to concentrate on normal work matters or much of anything else. My office is normally very chatty, in fact, so loud it's hard to concentrate at times, and yesterday, our first day back, it was quiet - nobody had the energy to socialize. The past 30 days have been absolutely exhausting, and it's not over yet.

I'm keeping a wary eye on Ivan, praying it goes somewhere else, but making preparations - I'm making tons of ice, and all laundry will be done every single day - clean towels and clean underwear become very important. I'm not restocking the fridge or freezer - a small carton of half and half and soft drinks and water, that's all that's in the fridge right now.

I received some new knitting books and have barely had a chance to glance through them, I'll comment more when my brain can actually absorb something. Right now I will take a HOT shower, blow-dry my hair, and go to the office and try to work.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

Still sending good thoughts from Toronto. We're just getting the dregs of Frances today -- rain, wind, nothing destructive -- and we're all hoping that Ivan decides he's done enough damage and gives up before he hits you. Hang in there.