Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I'm baaack!!! The power came on late this afternoon. I am not going to rush out and restock the fridge until we see what Ivan's going to do, but for now I will luxuriate in 'lectricity. Damn, the past couple of days were absolutely miserable, the search for ice was like the most critical part of the day, just to keep a few cold drinks and a bit of sandwich stuff on hand. The cold showers weren't so bad, it was the way nothing was DRY that made me nuts. The heat index was 100 and the humidity unreal, everything was sticky to the touch, it was disgusting. When I got home from the office (where there was power) this afternoon, the A/C was working hard to cool the place off, and the thermostat read 88 degrees. It had been running for a while.

I had to throw out the contents of my fridge, and I'm so glad that I took the expensive frozen stuff to Girlchild's - something just told me that I would not be lucky enough to keep power on through this one. My house is damaged but not leaking, and I'm not going to even try to contact a roofer until the next storm has passed and the people who have no roof at all have been taken care of. I know people who lost roofs, I can wait my turn.

People are so stressed and tired and slap-happy here, after being hit with two major storms in three weeks, and now that sonofabitch Ivan is out there.

Knitting content tomorrow, after I have a chance to catch up on laundry and sleep in comfort. Glad to be back - at least for now. Ivan, Ivan, Go Away!!!

No comments: