Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I know you won't believe this, but I had written a mostly-knitting post, and Blogger ate it. Maybe it will be burped up later. Or maybe Blogger doesn't believe it's me if it's not about hurricanes.

With each storm we get quieter and talk about it less. After Charley it was a big deal - oh wow, first hurricane to hit this area in 40 years. After Frances it was a big pain in the ass - okay, two in a row, that's really weird, but.... After Jeanne, we're in "Let's pretend it didn't happen and talk about something else," mode. And we're all way too aware that hurricane season lasts until November 30 - whenever anyone says "Maybe that was the last one," someone else gloomily points out that nobody expected the two that hit us after Charley. I prefer to think that the insanity is over, and the next storms will be minor and go elsewhere, September is traditionally the most active month. But I'm not restocking the fridge with too much until Thanksgiving.

The mosquitoes are the biggest problem. There is so much standing water everywhere they are multiplying in truly horrific numbers, and they are everywhere, they bite during the day, they sneak into the house, it's a constant battle. My county did some aerial spraying after Frances, I hope to God they have lots more planned. The drainage ditch behind my house is full, stagnant because the lake can't take any more water, and the surface is just shimmering with insect life. And we're in one of the less affected areas.

Once again, my daughter and I were hooting at the hilarity of the Weather Channel. I will never take them seriously again. She was watching reports of a 1/2 inch of rainfall in Tallahassee while looking out her door at three inches of rain that had already fallen and was still pouring down. I already mentioned that 2 inches for Orlando thing I saw - on the radio this morning I heard a report that one area in South Orlando picked up 19 inches. Yep, the Weather Channel, they're all over it.

Okay, now that I've fulfilled my required hurricane commentary so Blogger will not discard my damn post as written by an imposter:

I'm in a knitting deer-in-the-headlights mode right now, I can't decide what to start next, and I'm maybe too tired to think about it, but I still want to do it, so I sit frozen, unable to decide which way to go. I thought I knew, but then again, I don't. Nothing appeals. After three storms and today an outdoor thermometer read 100, it's really, really hard to remember that cooler weather is around the corner. But I know it's true, so I'm thinking a wooly poncho, which I'd originally resisted, may be the best dog-walking attire of all - imagine crawling out of a nice warm bed and having to take a dog out into the chilly morning air - what's better than a blankie-like poncho at that moment? Maybe better than a knitted coat - throw it on, no need to find difficult things like armholes at 5:30 a.m. I have that faux-Manos from ebay that I'd abandoned, but damn, that'd make a warm and cuddly dog-walking poncho. I have to think about that...tomorrow. Tonight I'm too tired, and my arms are aching from heavy yard work yesterday. Actually, my whole body is aching - I'm fine if I'm up and moving around, but if I sit too long everything stiffens up. Condominium isn't such a dirty word right now. I'll feel differently after I've taken care of the endless list of damage and repairs, but right now that whole "let the association do it" thing has a certain appeal. Naaah....



No comments: