Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Brain is FULL!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012
By Rick Levine
You are eager for your dreams to come true and wish that you could plan your life accordingly, but unrelenting demands on your daily schedule prevent you from pursuing your long-term goals. Postponing the non-essential tasks -- even if they support your overall life purpose -- is better than avoiding your obligations now. Rather than judging yourself too harshly today, make the most of the opportunities you currently have on your plate.

I don't think I did that. Half the day got away from me, I cannot say where, but I did put a few more pieces of the start-up process in place. There are so many small, fiddly things to plan, schedule, look up, follow through on, it's maddening. One step at a time, it's a process, not like "getting hired," and showing up to have a job waiting for you. It's "build your own" from day one. I have a nametag. It is shiny and pretty. I don't have business cards yet, but they should be in shortly. I have questions, and they are gradually getting answered. I suspect I'll understand a bit more about how things work here after my Board orientation on the 7th, then my office orientation on the 13th, but basically, the soundtrack for February will be cranking the starter on an old car - it'll turn over eventually, and then I'll be truly off and running.

Speaking of running: Miss D's Nose. Miss D had been snuffling a bit and over the weekend it blossomed into Baby's First Sinus Infection. She saw the doctor yesterday and is on the old standby, amoxicillin. My daughter reported with amusement that it is still exactly the same as she remembered from her own childhood. She wasn't terribly sick, just an alarming fountain of snot, and is already all smiles again.

On Saturday, before the sinus thing fully emerged in all its green and copious glory, my daughter and Miss D and I scheduled a time to Skype with Boy and Supergirl, and a good time was had by all. Supergirl talked to the baby, the baby made noises back, it was cuteness all around. I held Sophie up so Supergirl could see her, and Sophie (who, let's remember, watches TV) actually appeared to recognize her BFF in AVL. We will do that often. Supergirl was a riot - she was shy at first but got over it, chattered, climbed around, talked to her new cousin, asked if she could write, printed the first letter of her name, was very Busy. Her father was looking into the camera and talking to us when I interrupted - from my angle, Namaw spotted her attempting to write on her face with the pen. Luckily she didn't complete a full mustache before he stopped her, saying, "This is why we don't let you write with pens." Then she put her face really, really close to the camera, then grabbed it and started rearranging it, so we were treated to an extreme close up of the palm of her hand - it was very entertaining. Then it was time for snacks and naps all around, and we said bye-bye until next time. Skype is awesome.

I really, really need to finish Supergirl's replacement afghan but I've decided it really does need to be bigger kid sized. I was feeling guilty because it's STILL NOT DONE (though it is partly assembled and mostly done) and was going to just make a toddler sized one like the first. Now I'm thinking I will stick to my original plan and expand it to last her at least through 2nd grade, or until she's sick of it and wants something entirely different.

Murphy is doing okay - gradual improvement, I think I'll continue Dr. Mom-ing him a few more days before calling the vet.

The sun is shining, the days are flying, Sophie remains fascinated by the squirrels. That's about it from the Bossy Doghouse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sinus infections -- why can't the clever bods come up with an industrial use for green snot? Don't know about you, but I would have made a small fortune last year.

Skype and littlies - what a hoot!

Keep on improving, Murphy, otherwise it is the vet, and the thermometer.

Gae, in Callala Bay

k said...

There was something in there about not judging yourself too harshly...
It's great that Sophie recognizes Supergirl. Dogs are so much smarter than those people give them credit for.