Friday, May 03, 2024

I am ON VACATION! (And there will be a baby.)

The latest: Baby has assumed launch position, and he'll be launching Tuesday. This was good news, because he'd been lounging around transverse for so long there was a concern that he wouldn't make the turn and would have to be delivered by c-section, but the odds of that have dropped considerably.  

This pregnancy has been a learning experience for me, for sure. The amount of testing they're doing because this is a geriatric pregnancy (my daughter is 40) and automatically deemed high risk - they've had multiple ultrasounds, stress tests, etc. They've had tests I never knew existed. Everything has been fine, but now that he's physically full term they're evicting him a couple of weeks ahead of his due date.

His big sister is sleeping at my house for their overnight in the hospital.

I'm taking the week off to get my own life together and be useful to the new parents, so they can bond with the baby without having to run Herself to volleyball and band, etc. Daddy is taking two weeks off and I'm sure they'll manage just fine, but I'll be around to be their runner for the first few days, anyway. This isn't a big onerous sacrifice on my part; we live near each other and all of her activities are within 15 minutes. It's just that if they have a bit of quiet time while the baby is asleep, one of them shouldn't have to get in the car to drive the other kid to volleyball.

My nose is healing very nicely. I'm still covering the spot with a bandaid because it's under my glasses and I don't want the scar getting rubbed until it's fully healed, but I'm loving seeing how it looks without that weirdness going on behind my glasses. 

My knee is still fussy, and I need to get real about losing these extra pounds. It's 90 degrees again here and 2/3 of my summer wardrobe doesn't fit. This cannot continue.

I eat a healthy diet in general (mostly) I just eat too damn much. That has to stop. The last two years were awful, work-wise, and I stress snacked my way into an additional 15 lbs. It's an adjustment to eliminate all junk food from the house and stop snacking, but it has to happen. 

So, I have NINE, count'em, NINE days off in a ROW when I don't have to sit down at the work computer (because I work from home and my home has two desks, which I hate because I can't leave work at the office). 

I'm so bad at taking time off it's stupid. I haven't taken an entire week off since I can't remember when. Even The Cruise in 2023 was just a long weekend. I suck at taking time for myself.

I swear I am going to spend the first three days just chilling. I'll tidy some stuff, the dogs will go visit the groomer, and there will be knitting and/or crocheting and movies and resting my angry knee. 

Tuesday is Baby Day, and I have The Kid Tuesday night. I'll get her to and from volleyball while her mom is getting induced, and maybe we'll go check out the new neighborhood BBQ place after volleyball. We need to celebrate, because she's being inducted into the National Junior Honor Society. Because of course she is. That definitely deserves dinner.

The BBQ restaurant is one of those local stories that make me love this neighborhood. It's a Black-owned business started by a guy who runs a highly successful food truck, and has now taken on a brick and mortar location, and I really, really want them to succeed. So do a lot of the neighbors, our neighborhood FB page has promoted them a lot and their food is the stuff of legend. The man can cook. I just hope they get the traffic to keep the brick and mortar location afloat.

Otherwise, my week is all up to the baby - maybe we'll visit them at the hospital, but if he arrives on Tuesday and they're discharged on Wednesday, we may meet him after they arrive home. I'm just the Kid's Uber driver here; I will do what I'm told.

I'm just delighted to have NINE days in a row of just living my life. Bonus grandson is a delightful bonus.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yaaayyyy! Congratulations!