Friday, April 19, 2024

And Another Long Silence....

A quick recap of the last few weeks: 

Baby is growing like a weed and is going to be born around May 8, because he's a big boy and the doctors have deemed him ripe for picking a bit earlier than the due date.  At his ultrasound today he was judged to be around 6 lbs 11 oz at approximately six weeks from his official due date. He's a big boy with a full head of hair, though you can't see it in the latest picture. You can see his chubby cheeks:

 


As this is a "geriatric pregnancy" the attitude apparently is that once he's fully baked there's no reason to let him hang out in there for the last couple of weeks. My daughter is very ready to evict him; he's reached the very uncomfortable stage and her maternity leave will begin only a few days before he arrives. She also told her doctor she has zero desire to birth any record-breakingly large babies. She was 9 lbs. 4 oz. and I'm like a head shorter than she is, so there's definitely precedent for big babies in the family.

My new work situation is far more pleasant than the prior one, though I still want to retire this year. I like the people and the work much more, and I feel like I can actually use my PTO without guilt.

Gidget gave me a scare (and drained my bank account) the week before last. She stopped being able to climb the stairs, didn't want to eat, was obviously in pain, and of course this happened over the weekend. I took her to the emergency vet, and I am not going to rant at length about that experience again, but the place was NOT busy at all and we sat in an exam room for nearly 3 hours. She had a fever and was obviously in pain, and the tech kept telling me we were next, so sorry, an emergency came in (it was quiet as a tomb and I heard staff chatting) blah blah. After 2.5 hours I asked again when we'd see a vet and was told no promises on how long it would take. I finally picked up my feverish and by now very thirsty dog and left. The front desk staff was sitting around chatting and there was ONE lady sitting in the waiting area, without a pet. The next morning I took her to our vet, who admitted her for a day of IV fluids and antibiotics. By then her fever was 105. Pancreatitis. They let me take her home with pain meds after her fever came down, and after a week of being a sick little chicken she's totally fine again. 

Eddie is a splendid little character. He loves to walk, so I walk him separately every morning. He's hilarious, like a human toddler! If there's a work crew doing anything he has to stop to watch. If there's a garbage truck he wants to follow it. I have a feeling he and the baby are going to be the best of friends in a year, Eddie is very much a little boy.

I jacked up my knee again, I'm not even sure how. We went to Epcot last Sunday, just my daughter, the Baby Daddy and I, and we walked around sedately at pregnant lady speed and ate fabulous pizza at Via Napoli, and then we took the tram back to our cars, and I think climbing in and out of the tram jacked up my knee. Oh, the irony, I know! It doesn't take much, and it's SO random. I can walk 20k steps without a twinge, but twist it wrong doing something and it's sore for days.

It's not awful, it's been far worse, but this is getting old. So am I. I can't pretend otherwise anymore. Over the last two years of being trapped in my home office and stress eating I've put on about 15 lbs. on top of the 10 I've been trying to lose for a decade. It's just a fact that the weight and sitting on my ass is affecting me in all sorts of unpleasant ways and I have to deal with it, for real. 

And yet, all I want to do this weekend is sit on the couch with my dogs and knit baby stuff and watch movies, and I think that's what I'll do.





2 comments:

T.T.J. said...

Sorry about your knee, rest well and get better! We have a great emergency vet here, very caring. Sorry your experience was so bad but glad that Gidget is recovering. Your daughter is going to be a busy momma! That will keep you all out of trouble and soon you can introduce the baby to Disney! Good luck with everything it is always good to see the updates.

Catherine said...

Oh, we're already planning when it'll be cool enough to introduce the baby to Disney! When we were at Epcot last weekend they were discussing baby strategies (by mid-afternoon small people were melting down all around us). I have a feeling there will be a few quick resort stays, so he can nap in air-conditioning and go back out refreshed.

The emergency vet has several locations, and when I told a friend about my experience she said the EXACT same thing had happened to her at that location - it appears you're the only person there, but all you see is one apologetic tech for hours, and the vet never comes. She goes to a different location now (way across town from me) and it's fine. I'm still deeply pissed that my poor little Gidget had to suffer an extra night, but she's 100% fine now and fully recovered.