Sunday, January 27, 2019

Bleh.

Greetings from chilly, rainy Florida! Sunshine State my ass.  It's 55 degrees and raining steadily.  An older guy in Publix said to another man, "I grew up in Baltimore; this is Baltimore winter weather." I concur; it's awful.

January is almost over, and I'm pleased to say I've done yoga every single day of the month. I do believe I've created a habit.  I'm stronger and more flexible and feel great, and this is a habit I plan to keep.

I've also tracked WW every day, though my progress is sooo, sooo, slooow. The weather has sucked quite often, and the days are short, so I haven't been walking much. Except yesterday when I went to the Epcot Festival of the Arts and walked 7 miles in one day. 

I've made zero progress on the office redecoration or the side hustle plan since my last check-in. Work is paused on the former until I can get someone to help me haul out the old futon so I can sell it from the garage, and I feel like I dodged a bullet on the latter.

I'd signed up for a Facebook "event" by a work at home guru type, and watched the first two videos.  I was unimpressed. I was looking for concrete ideas, what to consider when creating a business plan, etc. and instead it was a rah-rah "All you have to do is believe in yourself!" "You can do it!" "BE BOLD!" pep talk that reminded me of a certain type of real estate coaching. (The useless kind.)

But I was willing to keep listening, because I was intrigued by the idea of proofreading/editing as a side hustle and one of the promoters of the FB event has a program to teach you how to do that. It's quite pricey as these things go, and I wasn't in any hurry to sign up, thank God, because things got really weird.  The creator of the program suddenly started unloading in posts to the group about her ugly divorce, and how her estranged husband was the devil, and so was the accountant, and in airing her dirty laundry to a few thousand of her closest friends, she gave the time and location of the next hearing in her divorce. And I happen to know my way around online research, so I decided to look into her and her business a bit before handing over a few hundred of my hard-earned dollars.

Her business is entangled with her soon-to-be ex, they are fighting over control, as of the last entry on the online docket she appears to be representing herself in her divorce (no attorney has entered a notice of appearance on her behalf) which is quite curious if there is a significant amount of money and control of her business at stake. You can't view the pleadings in a divorce proceeding of course, but just what I can glean from the public facing information was concerning. (It also appears that she never consulted a lawyer when setting up her "amazingly successful online business" so I have questions.) I do believe I'll take a hard pass on that one.

Oh my, her Facebook posts are open to all, and, YIKES. VERY HARD PASS.

And...it's still raining.












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're getting windchill warnings for the next couple of days, which is normal, but maybe a hard normal.
I admire your self-improvement stamina. I don't have it in me.

Kirsten

Caroline aka FiberTribe said...

sounds like you ducked a bullet, fer shure. I bailed on the yoga but will give a go again starting tomorrow. Part of why I love Adriene's yoga. I really appreciate you putting me on to it.
And every day is a new start, eh? It's a cliche AND true. I've managed to make a new habit of going directly to the gym after work at least 3 days per week. It's making a difference already. so yay us!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on making yoga a new habit. I have to work through some physical limitations before I can do much yoga. However, I’ve tried Tai Chi and like it quite a bit. And I’ve been taking Feldenkrais lessons_ they are awesome for someone with physical problems.

Sounds as if you did dodge a bullet with the online class. Eesh.

Kimmen