Sunday, October 01, 2017

Welcome, October!

And among my plans for October: doing something with this sadly neglected little backwater blog. It's not that I don't think about blogging anymore, I just find other things to do instead. I've been spending way too much time on Twitter, for instance. I'm cleverly called @bossylittledogs there. I'd suggest following me, but I don't tweet much. I mostly follow journalists and a few politicians, and it serves to remind me that while my country appears to have gone batshit crazy, there is still a solid core of sanity at work, trying to fix this.

I feel like I lost a month to Irma, because I basically did. I "lost" the first 10 days to watching Irma's path, preparing, etc., and the next two weekends to the storm itself. I didn't get functioning A/C until the weekend before last, and last weekend I went to a family wedding (poor judgment on my part, but lessons learned). For me, September was a dead loss, an expensive, epic clusterfuck, and I'm happy to see it in the rearview mirror. I feel like my life needs a reboot in the last quarter of 2017. I will make it so.

And one of the things I will do to reboot is to blog more often. And knit more, and finally finish Delaney's log cabin afghan, which I now call The DEFB ("Delaney's Endless Fucking Blanket"). I had originally planned to make one for myself after I finished hers. I'm on the home stretch of hers, I really am, but at this point it's so large and awkward to hold on my lap, not to mention it's still summer here, it's becoming a chore. I think mine will be done in individual squares, not in one piece. The DEFB is now my nemesis. I'd once thought I'd have it done for her birthday, but her 6th birthday is two weeks away. Okay, Christmas. I can have it done by Christmas.

And I'd like to thank, or perhaps strangle, the blog reader who turned me on to Bookbub. I now have a reading list that spans into the next decade, while I am still stumbling across books I read years ago and had to reread.

Back in the early 80s I became addicted to a series of paperback Southern Gothic/Horror novels about the Caskey family in Perdido, Alabama. It's hard to describe the story; it has a bit of everything: the domineering Southern matriarch, a flood, crazy relatives, murders, supernatural creatures. It's a delicious stew of crazy with a paranormal twist. I was so excited to find the entire saga was republished in one volume for Kindle: Blackwater. And oh my, it's as wonderful as I'd remembered! I devoured it, and then started filling my Kindle with Bookbub finds, and I'd have to sleep three hours a night to get through it all in a reasonable time. Then there's The DEFB, and yoga, and walking/starting to train for the Princess 5K, and seriously, I need to win the lottery so I can retire.

But one thing I will do in October is keep myself accountable, via a bullet journal and this blog. October is a fine time for a reboot.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was I the guilty one? You have done me a good turn reminding me to contact BookBub and change my email address. Internet is being ‘upgraded’ here in Oz, and it’s meant a new modem, email, and even phone number. In many ways I am not sure about it all - what about the non-computer, non-internet households, that now have a limited time to make changes or lose their landline phone.

What an awful September every part of the hurricane region has suffered.

All the best for calmer times,

Gae, in Callala Bay

Caroline aka FiberTribe said...

You're inspiring me to try again with the bullet journal. It looks like so much fun but so far I have wilted before the complexity of it. It looks like adding another task to a full list, you know? hmmm. maybe baby steps. For different reasons I agree about September. Here's to a better few months.