Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Lovey Cat.

Yesterday was dreary and gray, and I was sorely tempted to lounge on the couch doing nothing, but I forced myself to get off my ass and clean the house. I vacuumed and mopped and laundered and dusted for hours, and when I finally sat down on the couch, both animals joined me. I had Sophie glued to my left hip and Ellie draped across my lap, and after a while I noticed something:

Ellie had reached across me and was deliberately touching Sophie's paw.


Sophie noticed after a bit and delicately moved her paw out of reach. Ellie rearranged herself just a bit, stretched a little further, and touched Sophie again. It was no accident.


This time, Sophie let Ellie keep her paw on her and went back to sleep. Ellie was being possessive, and she wanted to possess both of us. Sophie is hers too. She may be the sweetest cat I've ever had.




6 comments:

Caroline said...

I love this! They are the sweetest companions ever.

Anonymous said...

I have seen some lovely dog/cat relationships in my time. Little Phoebe, the Blue Point Siamese, fell head over heels with our then Italian Greyhound, Brutus of beloved memory. They played together, they snoozed together, their first-thing-in-the-morning greeting ceremonies were a joy to watch.

When Brutus died, Phoebe was bereft - she carefully sniffed him all over, then hunkered down very, very close and tenderly groomed Brutus's head and face. Sad and quiet, no wailing. A little later, I found her sitting, very upright, beside Brutus's head, the very personification of the Egyptian cat goddess, a one-cat guard of honour.

Gae, in Callala Bay

Catherine said...

My beloved Golden Retriever, Bailey, had a similar relationship with Boris, my unofficial Russian Blue Without a Clue. Bailey had a stroke and could not stand, and it was Time. My wonderful vets (the same office I still rave about) made a house call. Boris was terrified of strangers in the house and would vanish when the door opened, but this time he sat by Bailey's head when three big strangers smelling like The Vet came in the door. I'll never forget that.

Ellie and Sophie have a post morning walk greeting - when Sophie comes in from the first poty of the morning Ellie is waiting, and they bump heads and touch their faces. Of course, if Ellie tries to get Sophie to play and gets at all rowdy, Sophie still screams in terror. :-)

Anonymous said...

Boris the Brave!,

Gae, in Callala Bay

wednesday said...

Awww, so very sweet. I love it when animals bond. My two shelter mutts are starting to sleep right beside each other. I expect full on snuggling once the weather turns cold.

Brenda said...

Teddie, my other Yorkie, was a little lover, too. My parents used to tease her by sitting on the couch with her between them. She would stretch out and make sure she was touching both of them, so they would scoot apart just a little bit. Ted would stretch a little more to make sure she was still touching them. She has been gone over 15 years now and my second Yorkie is an old, old dog now, but I still miss her from time to time.