Wednesday, February 19, 2014

File Under "This, Yes, This."

Screw goals. What you need are systems.

I've ranted before about how I hate goal setting in a corporate environment, because it's a fake way to give the employee some faux autonomy over his/her working life. When I worked in Big Corporate World, every year we'd have to fill out these stupid forms designed by people who never worked a day in our business, and "choose goals," and
was never one of the choices.

I love the idea of setting personal goals; I have a lousy track record of achieving my personal goals. So this article made sense to me - don't focus your mind on the goal, focus on the system that moves you in the direction you want to go. This is actually more work than "goal setting," because it takes some thought and time to plan a system, and a system really is the only thing (short of some wild stroke of luck and/or genius) that will really move you toward where you want to be. It's not wishful thinking, it's work, but that's how you get from where you are to where you want to be.

I know what I want to be doing in five years. I need to develop a system that will get me there. Not a GOAL, but a routine, a pattern, a system, that will move me from where I am to where I want to be. I like this concept very much. What I don't like is that I couldn't find a Pinterest button. Now I'll have to save it the old fashioned way. Funny how in the last year I went from "Pinterest? What's that? Why would I need that?" to using it for stuff like this. Now I'm officially a Pinterest addict. That's what I get for making snap judgments about these newfangled online gadgets.






No comments: