Friday, January 03, 2014

But of course, the most important question of all:

I know you are all just being really polite, putting up with my stories of plumbing nightmares and the like, just hanging on, waiting for the really important update:

How is Murphy doing as we head into 2014?

He's...pretty good. He's showing his age, more and more. His hearing is not so good, and his vision is getting worse. His big brown eyes are blue with cataracts now, and I think he sees shadows and movement, but not much detail. I often have to hold a treat under his nose before he notices it, and when we walk down the stairs to go outside, he doesn't have his old confidence. He takes the steps slowly and carefully, and stumbles now and then, and he definitely feels more confident in bright sunlight. But he still wants to do it himself, and I haven't resorted to carrying him up and down yet.

His remaining teeth are terrible, and I feel terrible that there's not much I can do about it. His groomer mentioned this today, and I told her the issue about his roots going to the very bottom of his jaw, and how I was afraid to have them removed surgically at his age. She nodded immediately, "No. He could lose his jaw." I shuddered, but that is of course exactly what I fear. He's so little, and his little jaw is so tiny and so delicate and the roots of those teeth are so ridiculously HUGE, and all the way down at the bottom of the jaw, on the bone. And of course, those tiny, delicate bones are old, and then there is that underlying disease that rules every decision and weakens his system. No, I really don't think surgery is an option.

He'll be 14 in March, and though his breath is horrible, his teeth don't seem to bother him. Even as I type this he's under my desk DEMANDING animal crackers. I've found that baby cookies and animal crackers are low-fat enough for his tolerance, and they are much easier to chew than dog treats, though he demands those too, and somehow manages to chew/gum them. So, though I hate the idea that his teeth are hurting him, he's soldiering on, and the alternative is just too risky. I'm certainly not going to do anything to deprive him of his ability to demand animal crackers at this stage of his life.

So the body is failing in bits and pieces, but the spirit is still strong. He's still totally Murphy. He went to the groomer today - this is only his second visit to his new groomer, because I swear even his hair isn't growing as fast as it used to - and she remarked at what a good boy he is, and how he's a pleasure to groom. He's bossy when he wants me to do something, and I still swear at him and tell him to quit pestering and shut up, though I'm pretty sure he can't hear me anymore, but he's always a sweet little gentleman for everyone - neighbors, the vet, the groomer, random children in strollers, he charms them all. The frailties of age don't mean a thing; he's still the Bossy Little Dog, and the day he stops bossing, I'll know he's too tired to go on. But we definitely aren't there yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Murphy may have an indomitable spirit, but that would not get him very far without your care and support.
You are right about his teeth - they probably are painful, but that has been coming on gradually, and is his 'normal'. If it is not affecting his appetite, he will cope. The risks are too great - similar situation with Ace, too frail for surgery.
Give him our greetings,

Gae, in Callala Bay

Anonymous said...

Go Murph. My 13.5 year old lab girl is a challenge each day. The snow and ice are terrible for her this winter, and each day I wonder if we'll make it another day. But she soldiers on. This evening I found she doesn't mind toddler socks on her feet, and I just ordered some rubber latex boots.

The redirect is working fine- congrats on getting that worked out.

Catherine said...

Gae - I've been so busy with work and plumbing disasters and struggling to get the blog to the new address, I didn't thank you for your Christmas card! It arrived the day after Christmas, which is pretty darn good travel time from Australia to Florida at the holidays!

Anonymous said...

Amazing, since ALL my cards were delayed this year, thanks to Ernst's younger brother.
Younger brother mentioned to Ernst at the beginning of 2013 that he MIGHT make a visit to us (from Hamburg, Ernst's home town). No further mention of the trip, and then one week's notice for a four week stay. A 77 yo food faddy, lifelong bachelor, has even lived in the exact same house all his life. Slow, hard to get interested in anything except this diet, his bowels, and the possibility of gout. No sign of gout, mind you, but he read a book on it, and keeps looking for the first signs and symptoms.
Honestly, I would rather look after a frail elderly dog, any day !!
Hope the plumbing doesn't drive you to drink,

Gae, in Callala Bay

Catherine said...

FOUR WEEKS? Oh my! That sounds exhausting! I'd rather deal with Murphy's issues any day! ;-)