Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A couple of good Kindle books about blogging.

31 Days to Finding Your Blogging Mojo

Good advice, and I plan to re-read it and implement it.

And then, there's this:

WordPress To Go - How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner

Why didn't I find this a year ago, when I was talked into buying a domain name and "branding" myself via a WordPress blog, which ate many hours of my life, and I never did figure the damn thing out, and don't get me started on GoDaddy. I abandoned my attempt at hosting my own website and went with a company hosted website, and wasted a ton of money in the process.

But. Then Blogger Met Google.

This is not going to be a rant against Google. I love Google, I use Google all day, every day, but I've never learned to love Google+. And I got my first taste of what readers of This Olde Blogge (still on Blogger because...inertia) might be experiencing when I tried to log into my own page from the iPad while in Asheville.

LOG IN WITH GOOGLE+!!

No.

AWWW, C'MON, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!

No, thank you.

IT'S SO EASY, SEE, WE'LL DO IT FOR YOU, JUST DO IT!!

And I finally, after several minutes of cursing like a sailor (in a whisper, lest I wake the sleeping granddaughter across the hall) I figured out how not to have to LOG IN WITH GOOGLE+!

And let's just say, things I've been thinking aligned with being annoyed by Blogger, and I started seriously thinking about launching my own website, but this time doing it MY way.

Does it have a name? Not yet. Does it have a launch date? Not yet. Do I know what I want to do with it? Yes. That, I do have nailed down. After over ten years of blogging in anonymity, I have an idea of what I want to do when I grow up.

Don't worry, the Few and the Loyal - I'll make it painless and figure out how to feed this to there, wherever there may end up being. That may not be in the absolute beginner book above, but it can be done. In the meantime, the dogs and I will be right here, as always, discussing Murphy's pooping situation (not so good) and other scintillating topics. Whoa, baby, is the Big Innernets ready for this?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apart from Murphy's problems - sounds good. Will follow wherever.

Murphy - steady on, old feller, you want to be well enough to snag a bit of Christmas Turkey from someone, I'm sure you will manage.

My lead up to Christmas has been disrupted by the arrival of b-in-law from Hamburg. Arrived mid-November, for a month, on one week's notice. Food faddist, no interests or hobbies apart from the maintenance of his bowels, and colourful anecdotes of what happens if......... Any suggestion of an outing or activity met with 'if we must' type boredom. Justifiable homicide being seriously considered. Just one week to go........

Life is such fun,

Gae, in Callala Bay

Anonymous said...

I really hate Google +. I had a password, but can't remember it, and can't figure out how to reset things and get a new one. I took a knitting class a couple of years ago, and the teacher insisted that we use Google + to communicate. I ended up dropping the class, and Google + was part of the reason---since I couldn't use it, I never knew when the class was meeting. Will we have to use Google + to read your blog?

Catherine said...

No, Brenda, it's Blogger that wants me to use Google+, and that's why (well, one of many reasons) I want to get away from it and go to my own site.

Linda said...

Sounds like a plan!