Tuesday, March 23, 2010

And tomorrow, I go home.

I had great visions of blogging my visit with my new granddaughter. Unfortunately, stuff happens. MacBook battery is now dead. It runs on power cord only, which made updating from coffeeshop with wifi a non-starter. Oh well.

The weather was...interesting. It, um, snowed. No real accumulation, just a dusting, but I drove in sleet after dark on unfamiliar, twisty, hilly, very dark highways (which are also under construction) for the first time in 30 years. I did fine. I do wonder why Asheville doesn't believe in reflective paint on the roads, or lights, or street signs. It's special that way. But I navigated. In snow. It's like riding a bicycle - it comes back, but you feel wobbly.



Today was GORGEOUS! Cloudless skies and warmer, and we went for a walk. It was very sunny, so it was convenient that the hat I made for her doubled as a sun visor.



She is very beautiful. Pictures really don't do justice. She is a porcelain baby doll, with gas.



My son took this one, over our shoulders because all other angles were too backlit with sun coming in the window. I like it - I look as happy as I feel.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby doll, with gas, that reminds me of Little Miss and her first night at home. Anne was worn out, Little Miss was screaming and bellowing (Anne kept trying to feed her, I suspected colic). Finally persuaded Anne to settle Darcy, and relax herself with a shower, and I would see if I could settle Little Miss. It took every trick in the book, but finally she let fly, multiple rapid fire farts, and a few depth charge explosions, then sighed deeply and fell asleep. And proceeded to sleep the night through. Sometimes experience wins over youth. And Anne's older brother was a veritable degree course in colic. For three solid months. Then just stopped. Little Miss turned three today - going on 33.

Gae, in Callala Bay

ChelleC said...

Catherine, oh my goodness, you and your little Baby Doll with Gas look beautiful. That periwinkle blue top really highlights your blue eyes - you look so proud holding your granddaughter. What name are you going to be called "Nanna" or what?

KatyaR said...

Beautiful photos, she's definitely a keeper. I'm so glad you've had a good trip--be safe going home, Grandma!

Catherine said...

Gae, my son was a crash course in colic. I didn't even know what it WAS until he erupted in screaming agony every day like clockwork, around 4 p.m. He screamed for about 3 hours every day for six weeks, then it was gone, and he was the happiest baby ever. I don't think Supergirl has colic, thank GOD. She's a good eater and growing like a weed.

Chelle - I'll let her decide what to call me. And thanks for the compliment about my $10 Target t-shirt. I was dressed for spit-up, but she's not much of a spitter-upper.

Anonymous said...

Most of the time Erich 'only' screamed for about 3 hours, but on about a dozen occasions (seared into my soul) he kept it up for 12 hours.
He was also an expert spitter-upper, as a matter of fact we called him "Clancy of the Overflow" after a famous Australian ballad.
Anne - no colic, no overflow, hardly ever cried.

Gae, in Callala Bay