Monday, November 16, 2009

It's Official...

2nd ultrasound this morning confirmed the tech's educated guess - Boy and Dil2b are having a girl, and she's perfect in every way. (One of the ultrasound pics is so cute - her little hand is raised - my son said she was waving it - and the Dr. typed "Hi!" near the tiny waving hand.)

Yesterday I sorted my yarn stash and created a small container of baby yarns, including, based on the earlier ultrasound, a couple of skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Sock in an utterly girly colorway - Somerset I bought for no reason at all months ago. Now I have to look for wee girly sweaters. I've also been asked to make a hat for her cousin, a 6 month old boy. I'm sure I can manage that.

Oh, and I came thiiiisss close to quitting my job today. But I will be a professional, stick it out a little while longer, and make a graceful exit. A countdown to that graceful exit is the only thing keeping me going at this point.

5 comments:

caroline said...

Helena, free on Knitty, was a wonderful girly knit. It takes a while if you make it in sock yarn, and it isn't exactly newborn size, but it's great and it goes from being a full length jacket or dress to being a short top as the baby grows. I bitched my way through it because evidently I can't keep even the simplest lace pattern in my head, but at the end the results were totally worth it. I used I-cord ties instead of buttons, btw. And congratulations again, Baby G-ma2B!

Catherine said...

Oh, thanks, I'll go look it up! I'm not really interested in making a ton of newborn sized woolly things. She's due in March and will not be out hiking the mountains immediately. Her going home from the hospital outfit will include an organic cotton sweater and little hat, plus of course a blanket. :-) I'm focusing wool for bigger items to be grown into.

KatyaR said...

Congratulations on the good news--little girls are so much fun to knit for (and plan for, and buy for)!

ikate/kakaty said...

Since my babe, due around the same time, is a boy I wish I could send the bags & bags of girl clothes I have your way! Anyway - 2 of my fav Knitty patterns for girls are Grow With Me and Anouk...both can be worn for at least a year (first as a dress, then as a top).

Another Knitty pattern I adore is the Hoover Blanket. It's like magic and makes the most durable blanket ever! I've made 2 for friends and am working on one for this baby right now.

Catherine said...

Boy and Dil2b are wise to the ways of resale and have friends with babies, and she will not do without a thing. I like the way my daughter's school does it - they have so many staff babies born on a regular basis, they have a swap bag of baby clothes in circulation.