Saturday, November 11, 2006

It was this kind of day.

 

I did get a haircut, and go to Tarjay. And I did knit. And I flirted with, for God knows what reason, embroidery. I saw
this book, and though I haven't embroidered anything in, oh God, 20 years? The designs are too cute for words - itty bitty martini glasses, lovebirds, you name it, I had visions of adorableness everywhere. I had this weird urge. Then reality intruded - I have hand issues and I don't need to spend hours with a needle. I don't iron unless forced to, so all those charming embroidered things would pile up post washing until I couldn't bear it anymore. The cat would puke on them. I'm sorry, I love that stuff, but it is not part of my life right now. The urge passed.

Instead I cast on a linen hand towel. I made up the pattern. I may not have enough of that color to finish it. Whatever. I'm working away on the prairie shawl, which is stubbornly un-photogenic. I tried. It looked like a warshrag. After it is done and blocked I will take it outside and give it the Glamour Shots treatment, or something.

This is who I am. I knit flat things. I like the shawls and the scarves for charity, and linen washcloths and hand towels, and I had this inspiration for a linen table cloth done log-cabin style. I may start with some towels and see if the urge continues.

Did I mention that I love Knit 2 Together? I know I thought about writing about it but I can't remember if I did, or if it was just one of my "spells." Anyway, the many linen things, the doctor's bag, and those precious mice! And the baby cape, which would so work in something like Mission Falls 1824 cotton as well as wool.

But that is for another day, because apparently I am taking on a new life, and flat things are my speed. Maybe a hat or two for charity. The occasional sock. But I haven't done a sweater in quite some time, and you know, I don't have the urge. If fate has determined that my ass is stuck in Florida until further notice I may as well accept it and adapt. I'm still thinking of a linen or bamboo throw for my bed. It's flat. But it would involve buying yarn.

And of course, when I do want to knit with actual wool products, I can send them to my son, or to charity. Because I don't want to stop using wool, but apparently I won't be moving anywhere woolly anytime soon. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I think you're wonderful, and smart, and really able to handle all the *stuff* that's been thrown at you, and strong, and I wish I could meet you, but right now I really am freaking jealous, because you're being recognized in a professional capacity, which would probably/ could possibly happen to me if I calmed down and stuck to it ever. So, congratulations. You're a better man than I am, Charlie Brown. Heck, I can't even be bothered to get my hair cut.
sallyjo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the sockerly encouragement, C! somehow typepad ate your comment and I only saw it when I looked at my own site to check the quality of photos posted.
Will post the dread sockerly attempts shortly.

Catherine said...

Sallyjo, you have no idea how I have second-guessed this decision, when I was offered the job my mouth opened and I said yes, while the little voice in my head screamed in panic.

But I have worked with the executive staff, I know they are smart but not way smarter than I am, and experienced but for the most part not more experienced than I am. I can contribute real value, and I know it. And when I talk to them I feel comforted that we are all in the same leaky boat. It'll be fine.

Catherine said...

The first socks are just to get your mind around the shaping. After that it gets easier. They really are addictive, and so useful where you are right now. Unlike here, where I drag out my handknit socks 6x a year.