Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Blog Fog.

There is so much going on at work, and I can't share it, because I am an Old Hag of the Internet and I know how easy it is to be outed.

I don't have anything negative to say about the company (other than that they are stingy with vacation time and I will say that to their faces - I mean, honestly people) but I just have this mental picture of telling a funny story that is too recognizable and finding out a few weeks later that one of the executive team I work with every day followed a Google on a key word I accidentally used and wandered in and recognized the story (waving to them, if that happens). And I will be Outed.

I don't care if they see me swearing like a sailor - we are all F-Bombadiers. Orders from way on high occasionally are phrased as "Tell them to bite my ASS!" And I get to translate the direction to advise them to bite our ass into a formal, detailed business letter, which is a fun part of my job I really like. Honestly, I am crazy that way.

The other day a very beautiful and soft-spoken young manager who is also a devoted mommy and has a figure I (and you too, trust me) would give the stash for and looks like she could model for a parenting magazine on her off days from Victoria's Secret was in my office turning the air blue about our mutual concern about a particular thing I can't talk about. The language coming from her dainty lips would make some of the delicate flowers who complain of such things online faint dead away. This is construction world, and we call that kind of talk a meeting. So the language used here isn't an issue at all.

I could probably get over their knowing that I'm a geek with a knitting blog, for godssake, as long as they don't expect me to teach them to knit, (as if they would, if they really read it) and I think they'd get over my being so Liberal - it's a mixed bag there, which is unusual in a very Republican industry.

I would just prefer to keep my working life and my blogging life apart from each other, and that does cut down on the stories about what I'm doing lately. Because I work, and I throw out or donate shit from my house, and I sleep, and I get up and do it again. Rinse, repeat.

So that leaves me talking about knitting. Ahem. Mistake Rib Scarf. Socks. Okay, I'm done.

Oh, I could rant about politics, if I had the energy to keep up. I'm sorry the shit is flowing faster than I can process. So much for a later in life career in wastewater management, which actually looks good to me many days, especially as I learn more about it. But my crush on Keith Olbermann is growing every day, and more and more people I know are catching on, and all of this makes me feel so good.

Back to the Mistake Rib Scarf.

3 comments:

Bess said...

always wise to be ecconomical when it comes to blogging about work. I'm even careful about family stuff because my family does read here occasionaly - wouldn't want someone to get hurt - or angry.

Yeah - stick to knitting
Or cropped pants
or open backed shoes in winter!!

Catherine said...

I'm really thinking generic stories, but I can't do them without using jargon, and jargon = keywords. Can't go there.

KatyaR said...

I'm in the same boat you are--I work in a very conservative, "family oriented" business, and it doesn't take much to make people look at you sideways. I don't talk about blogging to anyone I work with, except to say that I read other people's blogs. When it comes to actual blogging, I'm "dumb as a stump."

And I'm with you on the politics thing--too much happening too fast, and I can't keep up. Since I only know about 5 people who agree with my lefty leanings, I can't discuss politics, either. So what's left? Fiber fun.

But I can't talk about that at work, either, because there's only one person there who has the same obsession that I do.

So we can enjoy each other's work and obsessions, and no one is the wiser. It's kinda stealthy, I think--a "secret society" of fiber artists. Very cool.

Oh, and the great KO? I'm right there with you. Love, love, LOVE him! How has he's not gotten smacked down yet by his network I'll never know.