Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mindless Distraction.

You're Part Diva

You know that a girl's gotta work it to get her way in the world.
And while you aren't about to throw a tantrum at every turn...
You do amp up the drama when you know you need it.
You mix charm, honesty, and kindness to get ahead.


Sounds right. And got the same result my virtual twin in Virginia got - as usual.

Amped Up Drama - my antennae are twitching, as a colleague (not one of the Cupcakes), who used to say howdy and chat a bit is now Ostentatiously Avoiding Me. I have a sense that I am being ostracized. Perhaps for getting along with the new boss? I dunno. But something is strange there.

I am tired. I realized this week that I am just GODDAMNED TIRED.
In the past three years I have been through the deaths of two very immediate loved ones, three hurricanes and two job changes, not to mention the normal stress of just plain living, like work stress and car repairs and bosses quitting abruptly and adjusting to a new boss and home improvement projects and planning garage sales and unclogging toilets. I have absofuckinglutely no energy left for anybody's self-inflicted drama.

New boss asked me if I'd like to get a license to manage our homeowners' associations. I thought about it for a day or two. Thanks, but no thanks. I just don't have it in me to listen to people piss and moan about how their lives will be ruined if they can't put up an above-ground pool, even though it says in the documents they agreed to be bound by that they can't, and how they are victims and we are mean... I just can't do it for a living. I can write the occasional "And the horse you rode in on!" letter for the company when we just can't listen to the crap another day. (I really LIKE writing those letters.) I'm good at that - but manage that stuff, and have to listen to that crap day in and day out? No, thank you. I must decline.

Once upon a time, in another lifetime, I was far more bullshit friendly and might have done it. Those days are over. I can't force myself to care, not even for money.

I've scheduled Murphy's haircut for tomorrow, his vet checkup for Saturday, and I'm scheduling my vacation for early October. I've alerted Boy, and have a coffee and yarn crawl with a Knitter's Review cohort on the intinerary already. I plan to spend one full day in the mountains with my camera. I only have four days there, and they will all be full.

The box from KnitPicks arrived today - Options needles and a book that on first glance doesn't thrill me, but maybe it will grow on me. Definitely different project ideas - and Mason Dixon Knitting left me cold when I first glanced through it on the fly, and now I love it, so perhaps this book will be the same. More details this weekend, probably. And pictures. I swear, really, pictures.

2 comments:

Janette said...

FYI - September 15-17, the third annual Florida Fiber In is being held at the Radisson Barcelo. Vendors include: Chez Casuelle, Susan's Spinning Bunny, Uncommon Threads, Dust Bunny Acres...plus a few more. (The Vendor List link is not working.) More information can be found at the Florida Fiber In Yahoo Group.

Bess said...

Wise woman. Never take on thankless tasks. Use your inner diva when asked. that's my motto.