Saturday, April 15, 2006

It has been such a wild week.

I'm finally decompressed, relaxed, cheerful, have it all in perspective, and I have one more whole day off before I have to go back to the office and pick up the loose ends of the project and wrap it up and direct traffic and deal with it and all the other work without my colleague, who had to bust his ass all week and then catch a plane out of town to deal with family medical crisis drama of his own.

I really do like what I do. I am energized by challenges. I am an adrenalin junkie and I know it, but the older I get, the less it takes to get the rush and get over the whole experience. This week was pushing the envelope. And I had the easier end of it, my co-worker had the way more mentally taxing part. We did conclude that the next time this issue arises (and it will) we want 1) more lead time; and 2) to be left alone to do it without "help." It was a classic "too many cooks" scenario, and also illuminating as to the talents of the other people in the department. They are good at what they do, but don't ask for thinking on their feet.

So, all in all, it worked out okay - my father's condition isn't great but it's under control. My mother can cope with what she has to do.

So, I celebrated by Buying Yarn. I realized how much I enjoy the All Season Shawl pattern and I want one in a drapier yarn. Not that the Softball Cotton doesn't drape, but it's not a slinky drape, and I want a slinky drape. So I went with this: Bambu 7 in Dusky Blue. And a cone of Cotton Tail 8/4 in Deep Brown. And a color card, because that stuff comes in 50 colors and if I like it, I see a lot of cotton coming this way. I know the Cotton Tail won't slink (it may hop?) I'm thinking the very pale ecru shawl in progress may be reborn as a nice mossy green, and may be a gift to my former boss. It'd be fabulous with her hair, wafting on the deck of a cruise ship. We'll see. Life is full of possibilities.

And I woke up this morning with food cravings - not for crap, but for fruit salad and yogurt and salads and roasted vegetables. I eat healthy most of the time, so it was weird that suddenly I had to have yogurt - it's not like I'm denying my body calcium, for Godssake! But I went with the flow, and I'm stocked with veggies for roasting tomorrow, and yogurt, and salad makings, and fruit salad. Maybe my body is just responding to being so stressed out by demanding nutrition. And exercise. And sleep, and yarn.

No comments: