Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Aunt Purl is singing my song...

I didn't leave a comment because there were already over 100!!! but I'm still all about decluttering. And you know, it IS actually possible to go to Target and come out with only trash bags and cat litter and lightbulbs? Who knew? I'm a much more discriminating shopper these days, I actually stand in front of an item and ask myself whether it will REALLY make me happy, and why. It's not that I quit shopping, I just got much more discriminating. I'm still holding out for the Just Right Patio Furniture, for example. I am sick of making do. If it's perfect, I buy it. Life is much easier that way.

I've never been much of a knickknack collector, I hate cluttery decorator shit, but I still have a houseful of STUFF to weed through. I cannot get over my loathing of garage sales enough to have one, so local charities score big every time I do a sweep of this joint.

I think back on all the things I spent money on and then never used, and I'm motivated to have a knitting magazine "garage sale." I have alot of magazines and I really don't look back through them, and they are taking up space in my house. I need to list them and see if anyone else wants them.

One thing I do treasure - old photographs. My daughter found an album her grandparents gave me, old family photos from before I was born, and came to me with the picture of what I believe is some unknown Maine cousin who could be my doppelganger. The girl in the photo looks so eerily like me at the same age, my daughter thought it was me and had to ask. Even I would think it was me if I didn't know better. I should take that album to my folks the next time I go over and see if my father can remember who she is. I'll have to dig that picture out and scan it - all of the photos in that album are fun.

5 comments:

Marfa's Mewsings said...

Ms. C,
Decluttering - you go, girl.
And I agree w/you re yard & garage sales (we don't have a garage & have only a back yard) so the local Salvation Army gets everything that we have that we don't give to the Library (books, etc.) or friends (we may offer some clothes or books or CDs, etc.).
Awesome news re the lawyer who told you that you were right!
Hope the folks are doing as well as possible.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

I too hate garage sales. Too much work and time for too little money. Be generous instead (or try freecycle). Good for you.

As for reckless shopping, or shopping as a way to kill time on a weekend, that's a benefit of living in the boonies. I have NEVER BEEN to a Target (though I'd like to go!), and on the rare occasions when I do find myself in a superstore, I'm totally overwhelmed with how much crap there is. Crap that I want. I need a tablecloth, I need a lamp, I need more Rubbermaid! It's much easier to stay home and save money.

It sounds like you must be feeling a bit better, or are at least channeling your energies into something productive. Good luck!

Bess said...

I too would like to comment on Aunt Pearl's blog, but those 100 previous comments sort of make me redundant. That urge to own what you love but not what trips you is strong in the universe, these days.

Cursing Mama said...

I'm not a knick-knacker either - but the MIL is hard core - and has given my daughter more precious moments than should be legal. They are proudly displayed in their boxes, in a rubbermaid tote in the basement. You'd think that would be taken as a hint.

Catherine said...

Maybe your daughter can put those Precious Moments on eBay in a few years and buy herself a car.

I do think it's interesting that Aunt Purl had so many chiming in on her comments, saying that they have reached the same point of owning Enough Stuff and wanting to unload the excess. If our era of mad, conspicuous consumption is coming to a close, what the hell will happen to our economy? If you look at corporate profits, we don't do much anymore besides shop and go to the doctor to get prescriptions we saw on TV.