Sunday, September 19, 2004

Yes, I did knit today. I started an Amanda backpack while watching Seabiscuit. I am in "wait for video" mode on movies these days, and hadn't seen Seabiscuit. Wonderful movie. It started a bit slow and disjointed, and I wasn't drawn in until the Star appeared -the horse, not the humans - then it was riveting. I also have developed crushes on Chris Cooper and Gary Stevens. I cannot believe Stevens never acted before this movie, he was so natural even in scenes that didn't involve a horse, he has that low-key but powerful thing that really good actors have. It doesn't hurt that he's quite hot, and I grew up in a racetrack town and am not one who normally links "jockey" and "hot" in the same mental file, but he's definitely a babe, at least on the "senior tour". I hope he actually develops an acting career - yeah, so he's a jockey, he's short. It hasn't stopped Tom Cruise.

The Amanda backpack is a cute pattern, but the finished dimensions are small, and even pre-felting it is small. I would like an Amanda on Steroids for those of us who like to carry our lives around with us. But it's a fun and easy project, I've finished the bottom and am working toward the first decrease. It's my kind of knitting, easy and based on clever construction techniques.

I also cleaned the pond filter - I love the new filter and pump. L hooked me up with a Fish Guy who did not steer me wrong. The filter is a breeze to clean and goes together again effortlessly, the system is now a no-brainer. This is so delightful for me, because the old filtration system required a solid hour of cursing in the hot sun to clean and reassemble, O-rings and seals and "this can be cleaned with a hose but that can't," and was rigged together by various fittings and hose clamps, all of which took turns causing trouble. The new setup is a compact and highly efficient system - but then, ponds are trendy now. My husband built ours over four years ago, it was state of the art at the time, but ponds weren't as trendy then as they are now. Just like with computers, after they started selling them at Wal-Mart, they were dumbed-down. I am not complaining. This filter is going to need a daily cleaning, or maybe twice daily, until the pond is healthy and in shape again, but I can do that easily now, it's a ten minute job. This is a good thing, since I will be doing it before and after work for the next week, at least. I'm hoping to avoid a total water change, the frogs, snails and fish are happy in the murk, I hope to clean it up and let it be.

I cannot believe what a difference getting back to walking has done for me. After just a couple of days, my mind is clearer, my energy is better, I slept like a baby for 8 hours last night, and my mood is much more positive. It's no joke, exercise really is everything, and walking/running is the core of it all. I can stretch, lift weights, do whatever, but if I don't get at least a half hour, preferably more, of brisk walking in, my energy sags. Over-40 world is definitely different, it requires much more consistent maintenance, but the body still bounces back and the joy of feeling the bounce is so much greater.






No comments: