Saturday, September 04, 2004

Checking in from Tallahassee. It's very weird to realize I'm "stuck here" and can't go home until Frances passes. I did pick up some extra bottled water and batteries while I'm up here, because I don't expect to have power when I get home. Again, I'll be very pleasantly surprised if I do. If I can get out and on the road Monday I will, it will depend on conditions en route, but at this moment the damn storm is coming right through here, too.

Murphy is being completely neurotic - he wants to go home, NOW, and I am not allowed out of his sight. I know how he feels.

I did go to Fay's, where Murphy was neurotic but welcomed graciously. I was as usual paralyzed by the choices in that shop, but actually focused on things I do want to make. I bought Berroco Zen Colors for a Hannan crocheted shawl, and enough Suede to make the Sueet bag from Knitty. Haven't started either, I'm still working on the Plain Jane cardigan and trying to distract myself from what's going on at home with movies.

I guess I'm supposed to be the right demographic to love "Something's Gotta Give," but it was so boring and predictable we turned it off. Right from the premise that this very rich man (Nicholson) would have to recuperate from his heart attack in Keaton's weekend house (like he couldn't afford transportation home and nursing care?) it was just a string of dumb forced situations, and there was no good reason for Keaton to ever find Nicholson (who really looks like a gnarly old potato with frizzy mold "hair" these days) attractive. She looked great, though. But they lost me when she was so calm and accepting of her daughter dating that old fart, when any sane mother would have been screaming "Are you out of your fucking mind???"

I guess I'll go make and drink a pot of coffee, and work on Plain Jane. Maybe I can finish a sweater between now and when I can get out of here.

No comments: